Review by JavaDaBud -- Randy Love...at your service

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JavaDaBud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javadabud.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by JavaDaBud -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by JavaDaBud »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love... at your service, written by Shay Carter, is not only a biography-like novel about our fictional character, Randy Love, but it is also a Drama novel fixed with complicated Romance. The book tells of the teenage life of our main character, who undergoes certain situations in his life: getting through college, getting enough money (in every way possible) in order to make a living, struggling to find a job, and etc. All these challenging events have been added to be the salt and pepper of the book. Unfortunately, they are not.

Unsurprisingly, I do not think this has been a time-worthy reading experience for me. Although, I do have positive things to say about it. First of all, the book does not fail to reflect the quality storytelling ability of the author. All the events and characters were realistic enough. Some, if not all, were interesting even. Michael, a friend of Randy's father, would be a worthy example of this. During the early stages of the book, it is revealed that Michael is a perfect debater. He repeatedly adds his personal views on matters, suggesting an I-have-seen-it-all look. Personally, I think this is a good example of character development. Secondly, the number of typos were next to none. In fact, I must say that the book was spotless of grammar errors. Plus, the book contains a wide range of British slang terms. I would suggest this book to anyone who is interested in learning them.

Aforementioned, this book failed to satisfy my expectations as an avid reader. Why? Because of the fact that the story did not have a climax point. Readers generally feel sucked into books when the things get heated. To widen the definition, when a major problem occurs in the life of our main character, and he or she tries to deal with that great drawback. But the story did not have anything remotely like it. Even though Randy meets with certain problems in his life, he is hesitant of changing, thus, afraid to get engaged with the matter. Throughout the story, problems are more likely to solve each other out, without needing the help of Randy.

Moreover, the relation between chapters was very loose. It was as if you could skip the majority of the chapters and still be aware of what is going on. Furthermore, I found the ending really disappointing. It wasn't really linked to the story chain, and it concluded pretty fast.

Another problem I had with the book, was Randy's personality. I had the feeling that the author wanted to give Randy a humorous look. But along with having a good humor, he stole things and lied often. He wouldn't really get engaged with the matter unless there was a visible profit for him. All these things, in my opinion, blurred the humor in Randy.

The story gave me the feeling that Carter just wanted to write something. This led me to be on the verge of giving up the book several times. Although unsatisfied with the book, I would suggest it to anyone who is interested in getting more familiar with British slang terms. Because of the reasons previously mentioned, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JavaDaBud's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”