Official Review: Fiery Rivers by Daefyd Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Fiery Rivers by Daefyd Williams

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fiery Rivers" by Daefyd Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in the 1960s Ohio, Fiery Rivers is a historical fiction written by Daefyd Williams.

Ten-year-old Devon Hensley lives with his family in Franklin, Ohio. Devon, being taller than everybody else in his class, feels awkward, and his height in addition to his clumsiness makes him an object of ridicule and mockery. Her mother’s constant rebuke does not help to make Devon feel any better.

After his father Adam and mother Marie were saved from their sins by accepting Jesus as their savior in 1953, they started to live rigidly and in accordance with their Christian belief which means no adherence to the pleasures of the flesh including television and secular music. Then, Adam, after hearing a message from God instructing him to save souls, takes his family to Snyderville, and shortly thereafter puts up a church. In the first revival held in the new church, Devon hears Brother Peatry from Tennessee preach about one unforgivable sin, a sin which Devon eventually commits that will lead to a painful struggle with obsessive compulsive disorder until later in his life.

Told in the third person perspective, the book features the Hensley Family and other families which are related to the Hensleys either by blood or by proximity. The book has two main themes: sex, particularly each character’s view on sex as well as his or her sexual preference, and religion, specifically the characters’ beliefs, practices and interpretations of God’s messages.

This is a story that realistically depicts life in the 1960s, when children play outdoors, help with the chores, get the belt for misbehaving and go to church with their parents. The author successfully recreates that atmosphere of long ago that reading the book feels like traveling back in time. Needless to say, the author is particularly adept in describing settings. Moreover, he is great with characterization. He creates well-developed and easily relatable characters. By furnishing them with sufficient back stories, the author makes them undeniably realistic. There are two things I like most about the book, how it presents: first, the effects of constant reproach of the parents to the child and second, the effects of differences in sexual preferences between couples.

However, I find the pacing too slow for my taste. Moreover, there are too many characters that it is difficult to tell who is who and which is which. It takes a lot of going back to previous chapters to keep track of them and their relationship with the main characters. Furthermore, there are several details that I find irrelevant which, I believe, made the book longer than necessary. In addition, there are some unexplained occurrences that may easily be attributed to magic or paranormal but still may leave the readers with an incomplete feeling at the end of the book. Finally, the realistic portrayal of the local accent makes reading difficult.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is interesting and well written. I recommend it to readers who appreciate historical fiction and stories about sex and religion. Scenes of sex and references to sexual activities are not suitable for young readers.

Fiery Rivers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

In as much as I would like to travel back to a moment in time before my existence was envisioned, I will pass on this book because keeping up with "too many characters" is not an activity I would like to indulge in.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 10:01 In as much as I would like to travel back to a moment in time before my existence was envisioned, I will pass on this book because keeping up with "too many characters" is not an activity I would like to indulge in.
That's perfectly understandable :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I am unsure of books that portray religion in a bad light. I know there are those fanatics out there but not everyone is. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lewis mugambi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lewis mugambi »

I know there are more pleasurising out there...i'll pass on this one. Thank you.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 15:34 I am unsure of books that portray religion in a bad light. I know there are those fanatics out there but not everyone is. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks, though.
You're welcome!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Lewis mugambi wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 17:43 I know there are more pleasurising out there...i'll pass on this one. Thank you.
You're welcome. Thank you for the comment.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for your honest review. Not interested in reading this I am afraid. Not sure I will be enriched or entertained by the exercise and that is important to me.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CambaReviewer wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 13:30 Thanks for your honest review. Not interested in reading this I am afraid. Not sure I will be enriched or entertained by the exercise and that is important to me.
Thank you. That was very honest :)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I felt sad for Adam, as I read your review. I'm thinking the story would depress me.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 18:06 I felt sad for Adam, as I read your review. I'm thinking the story would depress me.
Yes, the story can be a little sad.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”