Review by KasieMiehlke -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Review by KasieMiehlke -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sabre is an autism service dog. She is trained to follow her partner Philip everywhere. When Philip disappears into a secret corridor located at the bottom of a pool, Sabre must follow. They go back in time to Ancient Greece and meet Aristotle. She stands to the side and observes as Philip and Aristotle interact. After the meeting is over, Sabre and Philip return to modern time. That Place of Knowledge details the struggles that some individuals face daily from a third party.

Writing the book from the dog’s perspective is an interesting twist. I didn’t know how that would work, but it was wonderful. Sabre was mainly an observer while Philip, a nonverbal individual, was the main focus. His encounters with Aristotle were expertly detailed by Sabre which allowed me to be an audience member as opposed to becoming part of the story. The story transitioned from one area and time to the next smoothly which allowed the story to flow very well.

The fact that Ancient Greece is the location that most of the story takes place is a great idea. Philip is seeking knowledge and he goes to the place where most of the current ideas and philosophies arose. Not only does he travel to that location, he speaks to one of the greatest thinkers of all time. This speaks volumes for Philip’s thirst for learning and his quest for knowledge.

The central theme of this story seems to be self acceptance. The author, Philip Alan Shalka, has autism. He knows he is different, but he doesn’t let that stop him. He can’t communicate in the traditional sense so he goes somewhere where he can’t only communicate, but also learn in his own way. He can explore anything he wants, from math to science to politics, and he can learn from the fathers of these subjects. He has found the place where he has found what he always wants, knowledge.

I give That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka 4 out of 4 stars. It is a fantastic story about a boy and his dog. The reader gets to stand back and watch as Philip discovers how to accept himself in the best location for his self discovery. He uses his personal experience to write this book. I recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a quick but uplifting read or people who would like to understand autism a little more.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Self acceptance was the theme. Rightly said.
Congrats on the nice review.
Can you please check out my review on the same book and leave your comments.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62063
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”