Official Review: The Guardian of Light by Debbie Joyce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Official Review: The Guardian of Light by Debbie Joyce

Post by jennyd2003 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Guardian of Light" by Debbie Joyce.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The Guardian of Light" by Debbie Hayward is a cliffhanger. It is the story of a young girl named Adrianna. We follow her journey to find out who she truly is and save mankind in the process. She finds out that everything is not as it seems, and much is going on just beyond where she perceives it.

We begin our story in Hell. We meet the demon, Samyaza, as he is serving his punishment for disobeying God. Suddenly he hears a voice and is agrees to its conditions. He is set free and wanders out, wondering just who let him loose. Samyaza discovers it is Lucifer and he has a job for him. Samyaza needs to find Adrianna and retrieve what belongs to Lucifer. With his belonging returned, Lucifer can defeat God, the angels, and the Nephilim to rule the world.

Next, we meet Adrianna, her best friend Mirth, and a host of other friends. Adrianna is about to turn 18. She heads to a party to celebrate, but soon she is wondering what she is in for. She discovers that she is a Nephilim, half-human and half-angel. Adrianna soon begins to have to fight for her life and finds that she has amazing powers that came to her when she turned 18. She also finds out that she is entrusted with something that belongs to Lucifer...and he will do anything to get it back. Her journey could save the world or end it all.

When we first meet Adrianna she is a typical carefree teenager. She goes out with her friends. She doesn’t worry too much about what comes next. She is very beautiful, and everyone tells her so. Trying to find herself, she has gone from a blonde haired, blue-eyed girl to dying her hair black and wearing dark clothes. Suddenly, on her 18th birthday, Adrianna finds that she is part of an army God is designing to defeat Lucifer and the demons who follow him. She also meets someone and falls in love. You find out how strong she is inside and out. She will do anything to protect the ones she loves. You also find out that she is naive and easily persuaded. Many times I found myself saying, "NO! It's a lie. Don't fall for that," but of course that didn't work. Adrianna follows her heart through the good and bad backed by many friends who will do everything in their power to keep her safe from Samyaza, Lucifer, and sometimes even herself.

Samyaza is only out for himself. He does Lucifer's bidding only to not experience pain for disobedience. He is more interested in women and how to get them in his bed, than worrying about Lucifer and the Nephilim.

I really liked this book. It was hard to put down at times as you get caught up in the action. It flowed through the action very well and kept you wanting more. The start was a little slow for me, but soon the action flowing. I look forward to more books by Debbie Hayward. Her style makes me see the action and feel like I'm right there beside Adrianna on her journey or skulking around with Samyaza. One good example is when Samyaza is stabbed in the chest by Lucifer. You can see the pain on his face and the blood on his chest. You can also feel his relief that it wasn't real even though the pain lingers.

The only problem I had with this book is that the language was sometimes a little stilted and it needed a good round of proofreading. There were times when a contraction should have been used such as when Adrianna says, "I am ready" versus the way we usually speak, "I'm ready." Overall, I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. It would have been higher but needs a good round of proofreading.

The Guardian of Light
View: on Bookshelves

Like jennyd2003's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I adore books with angels and demons and the like. This sounds like a great one featuring things from the latter's perspective. I will definitely have to get a copy. Thanks for the introduction.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Nice review. Sounds like you really enjoyed reading about the characters. Nicely written review. Will check it out!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can see what you mean about the dialogue. I don't think this one is for me. It's a bit too dark sounding with scenes that would be a bit graphic for me. Nonetheless, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”