Featured Official Review: When Angels Play Poker by Maura Oleary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3009
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Re: Featured Official Review: When Angels Play Poker by Maura Oleary

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, the review is nicely done. By the fact that it is a story, it gets a place in 'want to read shelf'. I like the fact that it is short also hence can be read by all who may not love long stories. I have also not seen the place of any scenes that may be a no-sign for children thus making it a favourite book too. I hope the description of heaven was not weird otherwise, it will lead me to call for some thorough remaking..hehe :D :D
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

I'm planning on reading this book and your review just confirmed it's a good book. Jimmie sounds like a live and likable character that can get into a lot of situations. There's humor throughout the story and no one knows what heaven will be like but for now, in this book, we'll pretend it's like Jimmie's description.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

When the author speaks of what inspired her to write the book, I begin to think of many occasions when some actions have actually made to think of doing something like writing a book too. It also reminds me that many people who produce a lot music were actually inspired by real life events to sing. The book is good. Will include it in my 'want to read shelf'.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by zilizopita1998 »

The review is great and has met the highest standards, I found this helpful but I don't think if I can enjoy reading this book.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Kibetious wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 11:44 When the author speaks of what inspired her to write the book, I begin to think of many occasions when some actions have actually made to think of doing something like writing a book too. It also reminds me that many people who produce a lot music were actually inspired by real life events to sing. The book is good. Will include it in my 'want to read shelf'.
I am also considering adding it to my shelves.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Jamasenu wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 21:52 I'm planning on reading this book and your review just confirmed it's a good book. Jimmie sounds like a live and likable character that can get into a lot of situations. There's humor throughout the story and no one knows what heaven will be like but for now, in this book, we'll pretend it's like Jimmie's description.
Indeed, this story employs a lot of fiction. Nobody can actually imagine how heaven is like but we just believe that it exists.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Kibetious wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 11:39 Wow, the review is nicely done. By the fact that it is a story, it gets a place in 'want to read shelf'. I like the fact that it is short also hence can be read by all who may not love long stories. I have also not seen the place of any scenes that may be a no-sign for children thus making it a favourite book too. I hope the description of heaven was not weird otherwise, it will lead me to call for some thorough remaking..hehe :D :D
I am equally planning to add it to my, "want to read shelf'' and see if I can enjoy reading it.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Mahendeka wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 06:56 Thanks for the review... it was nice, short and more elaborated
This review is greatly guiding.
JulySmoot84
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JulySmoot84 »

This is actually one of those books that make you say awww...Even tho there's heartache and pain it's a book that will have you interested
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

This books makes me think of listening to my friends, family members and sometimes complete strangers making statements like,
He's /She's looking down on us from heaven or they're in heaven making music for the Lord
. It's amazing what we all think what heaven is like and we may not be that far off from......You can finish the sentence with your thoughts! :o
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

This sounds like such a lovely and fun book to read! I love reading shorter stories so this would definitely be something I would like to read. The review is well written and gives just enough information to get somebody interested! Thanks!
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

MsTri wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 09:48 This sounds like such a fun read, though I'm far more interested in what's going in Heaven than in Maura's life. I also like the little ditty about what inspired the book; I'm always interested in what causes an author to write their book(s). Thanks so much for the great review!
I had the same thought. It's a title that makes you think this book is probably pretty funny. I have only read a few pages. Has anyone in here read this book?
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
kinyaemulatyamatt
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: When Ice Cream is Not Enough
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinyaemulatyamatt.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by kinyaemulatyamatt »

your review has depicted the style used by the author to write this book. The book seems to be much visualizing based on the flow of events in the review
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Maggie G wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 20:37 This sounds like a sweet book. I usually don’t enjoy novels where a character goes to heaven (a la The Lovely Bones) so I’ll probably skip this one. Thank you for your review!
Would love to hear the reason for this. But it is actually good knowing what works for you and what does not.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Agafs favour
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Agafs favour »

Lol,this one really sounds fascinating.Angels playing poker is just one funny imagination.i love this one and i cant wait to finally read it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”