Official Review: Dodging Satan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Official Review: Dodging Satan

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This definitely sounds like a unique tale - Bridget tries to ward off Satan by throwing herself in religion, but then begins to question some Biblical teachings, especially the treatment of women? I like how the author includes both humor and thought-provoking underlying issues here via Bridget. She seems like a very likable character, and one that I can see enjoying. Issues like women's liberation and tying that to the forbidden fruit sounds very interesting. I'm Catholic, but a pretty open-minded one, so I'm not sure how I would take this. However, I commend the author for writing something that seems very effective. Too bad you saw errors, but it looks like a newer version is out, which is great to hear! Thank you for the insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I remember being a young child going through religious study classes. My questions of "why" were usually answered with a simple "just because" from the teachers and priests. It sounds like this book has a lot of that, but the girl doesn't accept it. She's smart and witty, and her faith is real and believable.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

The title made me laugh out loud, and your review shows an interesting read with hidden depths. I may just give this a try.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Stories which are packed with deeper meanings underneath humour always manage to be appealing because there's always a lot to grasp from them and not just an outward and simple meaning. I'm totally in love with your review writing skills. Going to read this soon, thanks for the amazing review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sounds like my kind of book. I love serious messages hidden under humour.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Clarkson206
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clarkson206 »

I kind of liked the book because it filled with some hilarious page which help lighten my heart abit
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The title of the book was the first thing to catch my attention. Now after reading your review, I am all the more intrigued! From the review the story seems to be significant in different levels-it is not easy to convey important messages or represent issues like biased social structure, gender discrimination while keeping up an apparently humorous narrative. I am very much interested in reading this book.
Last edited by Shrabastee Chakraborty on 22 May 2018, 08:04, edited 2 times in total.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I have only read the sample pages from Amazon so far, but really enjoyed the content and characteristic of Bridget. Funny, straight-forward talker, smart and open minded is the attraction that I can relate to with this character. As you mentioned, the topic may be offensive to some, I find the humor in this story simply for what it is - humor. I like your description of Bridget's family history and dynamics and the short-comings that Bridget has to deal with. I found the humor aspect in this story worked well in some of the topics discussed. Can't wait to discover what else the sharp tongue Bridget has to say about religion and how it relates to her life.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This sounds like an interesting read for people who enjoy a good humorous coming of age story with a smart relatable protagonist and a heavy religious storyline. I don’t think that it’s really for me but congrats to the author on a great review.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
isa3030
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by isa3030 »

A sound reviewed book,story of a good catholic girl Bridget Flagherty is a creative writing of the author rated 4-4-stars,nice read for all kind of reader
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Fantastic job on the review
I have added this to my must read list. Thanks for helping me to make the choice
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The book is amusing. Entertaining too.I love the flow of the story and the writing criteria. Thanks for the awesome review.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This book sounds like quite the roller coaster ride of a young Catholic girl who is trying to figure out her world and trying to fit in. I read a few pages today, and her writing style made me feel like she was talking to me over a cup of coffee. Like you said in your review, the thing that stood out to me most was the domestic altercations and the mental anguish this caused the author to have. Great job on this review. It sound like a unique book.
Everything happens for a reason...
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Terrific review! I just sampled the first chapter and like that it is presented from a child's point of view, complete with rationalizations and interpretations of things that were probably shared in a good Catholic household. I agree with you that the author has a very humorous way of telling the story!
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

The main character sounds amusing and entertaining and from your review she reminds me of the character "Ladybird" from the recent new movie released. I would love to read someday.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”