Official Review: Dodging Satan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Re: Official Review: Dodging Satan

Post by kemp1kor »

I’m not particularly comfortable with the combination of satire and religion, so I won’t be reading this book, but I’m glad you found it humorous and enjoyable.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Finimale007 wrote: 22 May 2018, 09:24 Nice review, I wonder why people will say the cover of the books make the book not to look interesting but to me the title and the cover gives me interest in the book make me want to know more about the book and how it is played, how the devil was dodged and what the creepy childhood was, nice.
It is hard to explain, but here goes. Visualization is the first thing that attracts people to things. For instance, if I walked into a bookstore, not looking for a particular book, simply browsing the shelves, and in the horror section two books side by side is in my view. One book is the color brown, the other is red and yellow in color. Most people would be drawn to the red and yellow book instead of the brown. Our senses are stimulated by bright colors instead of dark. So let's say the two books are the same color, one book has no illustration but only the title and authors name, the other book shows a dagger dripping blood, the title and the author's name. Which would be the obvious choice that people would respond to? Right the one with the illustration. Last scenario, two books are the same color, both have the same image of a dripping dagger, the title of the first book is Dagger. The title of the second book is Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword The one that would spark an interest in exploring further would be the second book.

Sometimes the cover attracts attention which makes you want0 to learn more about the book, some times the title would make you want to pick the book up and read the back, and there may be times where your interest is directed to the picture but the title is not catchy, or the picture does not grab your attention but you are able to look past that because of a good title. In other words, it depends on what stimulates our senses to explore more.
Chill01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chill01.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by Chill01 »

I appreciate this review. I think it will be fun and give a lot of innocent glimpses into timeless issues from the perspective of an innocent precocious child. I am a Christian but do not think reading this satirical coming of age story will hurt my faith in any way. Everyone questions their faith at some point and the issues of feminism, and the male-dominated world are all things that we look at. I look forward to reading my free copy.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

It is interesting that the author has used the voice of a young woman to explore important issues of gender equality, etc. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
hbgolightly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hbgolightly.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by hbgolightly »

I have just started this book, and I have to say I love the way its organized. The Chapter titles set the stage for a great read.
The story feels like it will be as much parable as reality. I very much relate to the Irish/Italian feud within the family, which immediately attracts me. I might not have downloaded this, even as a free book, had I not read your review. Thank you.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I like that the perspective of this book is honest, and it sounds like the author has a clear voice. I’m not sure the content is for me, but I can see how this would appeal to a lot of people. Thanks for the insightful review!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

A very interesting review with minor spoiler alerts, whereas, Humility Indeed Cures Worldliness: "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you" as I pass on this creepy, satanic, not so interested in this book of the day! But Best wishes to the author on the #BOTD 👿
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This book definitely has an intriguing premise. I like that although this is religious satire with humor, there seems to be many deep themes involved as well. It really seems to make you think critically. I"m glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I like the enlightened appraisal you made, speculating even on the far-reaching ramifications of the notions herein stated. The character of Bridget is portrayed as being drawn to religious items and articles of faith, as true of the believers affiliated to the Roman faction of Christianity. I can relate to that. I can never be an iconoclast, myself. We, as thinking individuals might sometimes delineate on theological matters and would form ideas that stray nearer to the borders of heresy, and think Satan has abated our faith, but this just shows that we evaluate our beliefs from time to time. The influx of so many ideas obtaining now in this age begs for the necessity of incorporating everything into a homogenous whole that we could call our perspective. I am referring to the aspect where Science and Theology should complement each other. Thanks for your great review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Patty San Jose
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Patty San Jose »

I thought this book is another horror story but by the way you reviewed the book, it interests me to start reading it. Thanks for the review.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

The cover and title made me a bit skeptical,but after reading the review this book actually sounds good.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

Excellent review though I'm not sure this book is my cup of tea with the religious aspects.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

My husband is Catholic and I nondenominational but it is for that reason this does not sound very interesting to me. Nothing jumped out at me, even though it was reviewed highly and well, it just sounded boring to me personally.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! Bridget sounds like a precocious and likable child. The religious imagery also sounds interesting.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! I'm glad it was a fun read for you. Despite the promised hilarity, this is not my cup of tea.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”