Official Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Bush Pilots" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Bush Pilots is a novel by Eric Auxier about Alaskan pilots. The central character of the book is a young pilot by the name of DC Alva. When we first meet him he is living in Arizona and flying tourists over the Grand Canyon, but he has dreams of something bigger than this. After getting a call from his old friend Allen he decides to go to Alaska, the last frontier left.

DC meets many colorful characters there, but the biggest of them all is Mother Nature herself. She is a cruel mistress that can turn on you at any moment. There’s a saying in the book that’s repeated by many characters, “There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” It really illustrates the danger of their lives.

What I really liked about the book was that it didn’t waste time and very quickly established characters. It tells you who they are and what they want as early as possible. It goes into their past and how they all ended up in Alaska. I could always see a clear picture of them in my head and they always felt like real people, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

A big theme of the book is anti-authoritarianism. All the major characters are united in their disdain for the laws that bind their lives. They want to live free and by their own rules, not those set by some faraway bureaucrats. Inspector Bruner, the closest thing the book has to an antagonist, is a petty man obsessed with enforcing even the smallest rules. He is a symbol of everything the book’s characters hate.

You could really feel the author’s love for the subject matter. He delves deeply into the lives of pilots and all the challenges they have to face. It painted a portrait of Alaska. Not just of the geography, but of the people that live there and their spirit. The book felt very life-like in that at times it was funny and at times it was sad. The characters all spoke in a casual language with occasional swearing and other bad words. It's definitely not a book for people who like their stories without any bad language.

Overall, The Last Bush Pilots was a well-written book that I enjoyed reading. However, it had one big weakness in that the plot was all over the place. I thought at first that the book would be about DC and him growing as a character. We sort of see that, but that’s not really the book’s main focus. Instead, it jumps from one minor story to another and they don’t feel like part of a single narrative. Because of that, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Last Bush Pilots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a book that gives a good picture, it's very encouraging! Besides the author putting his heart and soul to his work reflects on the success and the quality of the book. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Besides the drawbacks, I like that the story is captivating and informative. For the author to paint such a vivid picture of Alaska's climate is a plus.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
jailucy1
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by jailucy1 »

I love this book because it's vividly bringing out pictures of how determined and hardworking this pilot was. Despite being working as a pilot, he still have a clear vision of becoming even better than how he is at the moment...i really like that book.... Thank you
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that this isn't quite what you are expecting. The lack of cohesion in the plot is kind if turning me off. I'm glad you were able to find some enjoymentin this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

This author must be very knowledgeable regarding pilots in Alaska when the characters, job and setting are well described and they feel like real. I love when I can transport to places when reading, and this story seems to have that power. Too bad the plot was all over the place, though. Thanks for the review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

AliceofX wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:45 There’s a saying in the book that’s repeated by many characters, “There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.”
Not having read the book, my imagination pictures an old, grizzled man sitting at the end of the bar mumbling this and sporadically shouting it to anyone who'll listen. Does this make me nuts? :P
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

This is a good read for liberals and centrists but may be a bit upsetting for conservatives...lovely review!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds like a book where you can imagine yourself experiencing the scenery and culture of Alaska. Too bad about the scattered storyline though. Thanks for your review!
ajayi_wale
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ajayi_wale »

The last bush pilots.
Still can't believe it was written by a pilot. It is thrilling from the beginning. The part that touched me most in the book is this that No job without the experience,
and no flight time without the job.
This is what I am going through now.
SherHus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherhus.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by SherHus »

I have the book 3 out 4 and can agree with the main reviewer's assessment. The author really did a wonderful thing with his descriptive prose but the story really meandered sometimes.
SherHus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherhus.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by SherHus »

I also read the book and can agree with this review. The author did indeed paint a vivid picture of the Alaskan life. But the plot was all over the place and seemed meandering at times.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

You know I would say the book was about the last of the bush pilots and DC wasn't the protagonist, he might be the main character but he certainly wasn't the last bush pilot the author is referring to.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”