Official Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: Tangier by Stephen Holgate

Official Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by AliceofX » 02 Feb 2018, 11:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Bush Pilots" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Bush Pilots is a novel by Eric Auxier about Alaskan pilots. The central character of the book is a young pilot by the name of DC Alva. When we first meet him he is living in Arizona and flying tourists over the Grand Canyon, but he has dreams of something bigger than this. After getting a call from his old friend Allen he decides to go to Alaska, the last frontier left.

DC meets many colorful characters there, but the biggest of them all is Mother Nature herself. She is a cruel mistress that can turn on you at any moment. There’s a saying in the book that’s repeated by many characters, “There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” It really illustrates the danger of their lives.

What I really liked about the book was that it didn’t waste time and very quickly established characters. It tells you who they are and what they want as early as possible. It goes into their past and how they all ended up in Alaska. I could always see a clear picture of them in my head and they always felt like real people, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

A big theme of the book is anti-authoritarianism. All the major characters are united in their disdain for the laws that bind their lives. They want to live free and by their own rules, not those set by some faraway bureaucrats. Inspector Bruner, the closest thing the book has to an antagonist, is a petty man obsessed with enforcing even the smallest rules. He is a symbol of everything the book’s characters hate.

You could really feel the author’s love for the subject matter. He delves deeply into the lives of pilots and all the challenges they have to face. It painted a portrait of Alaska. Not just of the geography, but of the people that live there and their spirit. The book felt very life-like in that at times it was funny and at times it was sad. The characters all spoke in a casual language with occasional swearing and other bad words. It's definitely not a book for people who like their stories without any bad language.

Overall, The Last Bush Pilots was a well-written book that I enjoyed reading. However, it had one big weakness in that the plot was all over the place. I thought at first that the book would be about DC and him growing as a character. We sort of see that, but that’s not really the book’s main focus. Instead, it jumps from one minor story to another and they don’t feel like part of a single narrative. Because of that, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Last Bush Pilots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: A World Without Color
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 11 Feb 2018, 01:15

I like a book that gives a good picture, it's very encouraging! Besides the author putting his heart and soul to his work reflects on the success and the quality of the book. Thank you!
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: The Lion Roared FREEDOM by Andr&ecirc; Black

Post by Mercy Bolo » 11 Feb 2018, 05:03

Besides the drawbacks, I like that the story is captivating and informative. For the author to paint such a vivid picture of Alaska's climate is a plus.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

jailucy1
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by jailucy1 » 11 Feb 2018, 10:20

I love this book because it's vividly bringing out pictures of how determined and hardworking this pilot was. Despite being working as a pilot, he still have a clear vision of becoming even better than how he is at the moment...i really like that book.... Thank you

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged by Euclid Isbell

Post by kandscreeley » 11 Feb 2018, 14:59

It's too bad that this isn't quite what you are expecting. The lack of cohesion in the plot is kind if turning me off. I'm glad you were able to find some enjoymentin this one. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Kalin Adi
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 680
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Post by Kalin Adi » 11 Feb 2018, 20:48

This author must be very knowledgeable regarding pilots in Alaska when the characters, job and setting are well described and they feel like real. I love when I can transport to places when reading, and this story seems to have that power. Too bad the plot was all over the place, though. Thanks for the review!

NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 382
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: G.I.N. Goddess In The Nude by Derrick Davis

Post by NL Hartje » 12 Feb 2018, 05:05

AliceofX wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 11:45
There’s a saying in the book that’s repeated by many characters, “There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.”
Not having read the book, my imagination pictures an old, grizzled man sitting at the end of the bar mumbling this and sporadically shouting it to anyone who'll listen. Does this make me nuts? :P
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

prettysmart
2018 Reading Goal: 560
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart » 02 Mar 2018, 16:36

This is a good read for liberals and centrists but may be a bit upsetting for conservatives...lovely review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”