Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
phemmaj
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 39

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by phemmaj »

"leisurely paced story", I prefer quick paced storylines. moreover it's error filled according to the review. The reviewer did a nice job to make it presentable. kudos.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing, so this would be a good place to start. Thank you for the awesome review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
alineta1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alineta1.html
Latest Review: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by alineta1 »

Great review! I haven't started the book, and appreciate the heads-up on its slow start.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I like books that teach me something new (fly fishing) while portraying relationships in a humanizing manner. They tend to be very memorable stories. Obviously the author is into her fly fishing! LOL
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Thanks for the great review, Bookowlie!
Over all, I enjoyed the book, but I also thought the first half of the book was very slow – to the point that I was wondering if this book did, in deed, contain a story. It did. You just have to be patient. I felt that it was a comfortable read – something to read as I retire for the day. I chose to read the book because I like to fish. Her descriptive style was enough to bring to the surface, memories of many years past. I remember being in Denver during a storm, and I can attest to how loud thunder can be in that area. It is like bombs going off without the concussion. Ms. Cummings brought me back to those times. She also reminded me of those many great memories I have of my own fishing trips.
I believe this book was written by a woman, exclusively for women. Her story was laced heavily with feminine sensibilities that was difficult for me to fully appreciate. I did wonder if she was attempting a deeper metaphor using the catch and release idea with the grief one feels with loss. If so, it was well hidden – probably just a potential.
:tiphat:
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I did notice the lengthy descriptions. It was a bit slow moving through them, but they helped me get a grip on fly fishing. Not sure if I'm interested enough to consider reading. Thanks for the review!
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I did notice the lengthy descriptions. It was a bit slow moving through them, but they helped me get a grip on fly fishing. Not sure if I'm interested enough to consider reading. Thanks for the review!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I agree that the first part of the book contained a detailed backstory about the characters and it took a while for the story to proceed. I,however, loved the technical details about the sport of fly fishing as I hadn't even heard about this sport before reading this book.
Lovely review-I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

phemmaj wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 14:56 "leisurely paced story", I prefer quick paced storylines. moreover it's error filled according to the review. The reviewer did a nice job to make it presentable. kudos.
Thanks. I wouldn't described the book as error-filled, as I spotted nine errors in a book that is fairly long (at least 400 pages). I still mentioned the errors as nine is certainly more than a few. I also enjoyed a faster pace, but I still enjoyed the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback. The book is definitely a worthwhile read!

Manali_DC - I also found your review interesting! I didn't know anything about fly fishing either, so it was nice to learn something new.

DennisK - It's nice to see your post, although you changed your profile photo - where is your cute dog?! Like you, I waiting impatiently for the plot to emerge. The author has a real talent for clear imagery. I have never been to Colorado, but I felt like I was right there due to the descriptions. I agree that the story is heavy on the hangin' with the girls theme. I thought the dialogue was too light and silly, and felt too "girls' night out-ish." I was glad when the conversations would sometimes turn to more serious themes, although it wasn't too often.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

bookowlie wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 12:56 Thanks everyone for the nice feedback. The book is definitely a worthwhile read!

Manali_DC - I also found your review interesting! I didn't know anything about fly fishing either, so it was nice to learn something new.

DennisK - It's nice to see your post, although you changed your profile photo - where is your cute dog?! Like you, I waiting impatiently for the plot to emerge. The author has a real talent for clear imagery. I have never been to Colorado, but I felt like I was right there due to the descriptions. I agree that the story is heavy on the hangin' with the girls theme. I thought the dialogue was too light and silly, and felt too "girls' night out-ish." I was glad when the conversations would sometimes turn to more serious themes, although it wasn't too often.
Hi Bookowlie! It is always fun to share books with you – I feel as though I am always on the same page as you. Hazel is doing OK … she is just now next to me in her favorite chair. My current avatar is a pencil drawing that I like.
Tunisia04
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tunisia04 »

Title: the reel sisters
Author: Michelle Cummings
About: fly fishing
This book encourages women that you can do anything you set your mind to. Michelle cummings choose fly fishing as her way of getting away from reality and to also have fun at the same time. Sister became best friends and had a bond like no other.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

This sure sounds like a book i would like to check out because i have never heard of fly fishing except through google search and would like to know how it is done. Also, the idea of reading a book with so many point of views might seem confusing but since Michelle Cummings pulled it out well, it would be an interesting book. Thanks for the review.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

This is surely a book I could read, though it wouldn't make me feel on top of the world because I am not best at reading so many POV's. Thanks for the review all the same. It was nice reading it.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Even though the book seems quite detailed it does fit for a nice read on one of those long warm summer vacations. From what I've seen "The Reel Sisters" needs a patient reader. Thanks for the informative review. I will definitely purchase the book for more of this good stuff.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”