Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fanciboy4
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Fanciboy4 »

The fifth line of this review caught more of my attention.

Fly fishing is not a common activities being practiced and most times reader tries to get more knowledge about such activities in other to fully understand the story content. Like myself, I don't know what fly fishing is all about. So I thing it a move made by the author.

I know this may take time to read up, especially for those that don't like reading too much stories entailed in a book. From the review case, i think the book is nice for a read.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the kind words. Fanciboy4 - welcome to the forums! The book was not too long of a read, once I got used to the five alternating perspectives.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
graceeva
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by graceeva »

This is one book I have already falling in love with. What I enjoy most is the team work between the characters.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for the heartfelt review, Bookowlie!

The leisurely pacing could be a metaphor for fishing, which as you say isn't the fastest sport around. The tug at the heart could be symbolic of "the tug's the drug" for fishing addicts. The story has a nonfiction feel to it. The author admits to being a cross between Sophie and Veronica.

This book makes me recall Free Fish Friday which you also reviewed. Fishing seems to catch hearts if people are willing to bite.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 03:36 Thanks for the heartfelt review, Bookowlie!

The leisurely pacing could be a metaphor for fishing, which as you say isn't the fastest sport around. The tug at the heart could be symbolic of "the tug's the drug" for fishing addicts. The story has a nonfiction feel to it. The author admits to being a cross between Sophie and Veronica.

This book makes me recall Free Fish Friday which you also reviewed. Fishing seems to catch hearts if people are willing to bite.
Actually, I didn't review Free Fish Friday - Gali did. :) However, I enjoyed the book and was active in the discussion when it had been the Book of the Month about two years ago. I remember that discussion being very lively at the time! Like you, The Reel Sisters reminded me a little of Free Fish Friday, even though the plots were wildly different.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Oh, my mistake. I seem to remember some of your comments to FFF. Or was it The Student Council by the same author?

My apologies to Gali.

Both good books and both good reviews, I must say.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

A group of women bonding over their love of fly fishing. While The Reel Sisters sounds interesting, the reviewer's comment about several alternating perspectives and a beginning bogged down with information makes me hesitant to actually read it. Thanks for the information.
Nebula2
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Nebula2 »

I believe that the books written from different points of view help the reader to have a wider vision of the history. And I like, but this book is not for me. The topic of the fishing does not attract me at all.
Thank you for this complete review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 18:06 Oh, my mistake. I seem to remember some of your comments to FFF. Or was it The Student Council by the same author?

My apologies to Gali.

Both good books and both good reviews, I must say.
No need to apologize. :) Free Fish Friday was certainly a lively discussion. From what I remember, the author was very active in the discussion, which was fun. I did review The Student Council (by the same author) and enjoyed it very much.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kemp1kor wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 12:00 A group of women bonding over their love of fly fishing. While The Reel Sisters sounds interesting, the reviewer's comment about several alternating perspectives and a beginning bogged down with information makes me hesitant to actually read it. Thanks for the information.
The beginning was still interesting. It's just that the story is slow paced in the beginning due to introducing so many main characters and the sport of fly fishing.
evantus maina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by evantus maina »

I have the reel sisters novel and can say the book is very catching the eye of the reader build on by the writer through interesting characters like Sophie and Rose.Moreover it was my pleasure to come across the new term fly fishing,well explained.
The story rate 3 stars out of 4.Thankyou very much to the writer for the work well done.
butterfly1998
Currently Reading: The Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Series
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by butterfly1998 »

This is a nice book,and a very big job well done to the writer 'Michelle'.
Emelda chiamaka
Favorite Author: Michelle Cummings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
fav_author_id: 109167

Post by Emelda chiamaka »

Oh! What more can i say about this book, i'm this type that feel boring in terms of reading novel but only this name" the reel sisters" draws my attention, i must confess this book is very intersting, i got confused when i saw fly fishes but while going on with the reading i understood every thing about that, to be frank michelle Cummings really made a different in this novel, Great review, thanks.
Abdul_junior

Post by Abdul_junior »

A very nice and interesting concept of fly fishing. thanks for your review, first time i heard a book written on it.
Mujeebur rahman

Post by Mujeebur rahman »

:oops: what are saying.
Salsabila wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 05:18 Even though the book seems quite detailed it does fit for a nice read on one of those long warm summer vacations. From what I've seen "The Reel Sisters" needs a patient reader. Thanks for the informative review. I will definitely purchase the book for more of this good stuff.
:tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”