Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Marylynn »

It takes an exceptional author to weave such a topic as fly fishing with themes such as friendship. The book seems like an interesting read, too bad it had all those errors.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
calebchuks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by calebchuks »

Fly fishing girls. For me, there are moral lessons in it and it does'nt build me as a person in any way but it sure makes a good book to read during leisure.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I pretty much summed up the concept of the book from a YouTube video I watched on the forum that depicts treading outside one's comfort zone to discover a new aspect of one's self on the basis of friendship centered around womanhood. Also suggested internalizing what was learnt via application of that knowledge. I appreciate this review as you highlighted the unusual platform of females creating friendship through fly-fishing rather than the generic 'girls night out at a book club' setting. :D
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

I am quite new to the site and book reviewing, having just posted my first review.
I found reading this review helpful as an aid to seeing how more experienced reviewers format their reviews, and it sparked my interest in the book, as the review really brings the book to life and describes it vividly.
I look forward to reading the book. Thank you for the example of a review.
vanessaonelove
Currently Reading: A Return to Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaonelove.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B013EX0QM6

Post by vanessaonelove »

The title The Reel Sisters is, for me, slightly misleading given that reels are also associated with the film industry - but maybe that's just me, coming from this background. Apart from that I enjoyed the review as it points out the flaws as well as the great elements of what could be a story passed up by many because of the fly fishing. I would be one of them even though I must confess that I love fishing, the few times I have had the chance. It is a slow and leisurely sport that I would never have expected to be the central of a relationship story around women. However Bookowlie's review has sparked an interest in the sport and the characters and, despite the flaws, has identified enough in the story e.g the sparkling characters in particular that I think I might just read this, just to meet and get to know the main characters and also what women are like when fly fishing.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

The story is really enchanting, thanks for the Great review.
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jsparkleflower »

I am intrigued by the idea of a book on females fly fishing. I hope to read this book soon as I have a daughter who is younger and enjoys fishing. I look forward to looking into this book.
Cheryl_aburi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Cheryl_aburi »

The plot is truly one of a kind I mean fly fishing, wow! The errors and the typos weren't as distracting to me because the plot was already mindblowing. I also loved how it was wrotten in first person's perspective it makes the story feel alive.
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

A glimpse at the cover of this book, and I thought it would be about film actresses -- as in an old film reel on the cover -- so when I read your review, I was surprised to discover that the book was about a group of ladies who go fly fishing together! The reel certainly doesn't look like a typical fishing reel. The book has a unique concept, but it's unfortunate that the beginning drags with excessive backstory and explanations of fishing. The second half sounds great though! Thanks for a good review.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Sempa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sempa »

The cover of the book is Awesome, it attracted me to read and i found it interesting.
Dana G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-g.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Dana G »

A very nice review, thoroughly written. And you are right fishing ain't the fastest sport and explaining about it is just as slow, which could get boring. I don't think this book is for me. Thank you for the insight. :tiphat:
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

Nice review. It seems a slow paced book not my kind really. I prefer fast plots. It seems quite informative on the issue of fly fishing which I happen to know very little about.
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

Your review was intriguing enough for me to put the book on my To-Read shelf. I dislike it when books have errors of any sort but it happens frequently enough and the type of issues you describe are not enough to dissuade me from reading it. A lengthy backstory might be enough to make me lost interest in the book...I guess we'll have to see.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Thanks for the review! I am debating whether to take the plunge and read it, as I don't like fishing (I know I'm not in the majority but I'm a big animal rights activist and fishing bothers me) but I love stories about women bonding and helping each other through life's tough times. Your review makes me consider reading it!
Greta Morgan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greta-morgan.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Greta Morgan »

My group of girlfriends bonds over martial arts (while not as much of a niche as fly fishing, it's still not a topic one relates to girls' night out) so I get the nuances of placing women in a not-so-stereotyped hobby. I love the idea though. This sounds like a very relatable story, and while these kinds of books are not the ones I typically seek out, I believe that I will be giving this one a go. This is a very rounded and thoughtful review. Thanks.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”