Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: A Prescription for Madness by Linda Fawke

Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by bookowlie » 29 Jan 2018, 20:08

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A common topic in women’s contemporary fiction is friendship; the sport of fly fishing in fiction is less common, to say the least. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings focuses on a small, diverse group of women who bond through their love of fly fishing. Not a “girls’ night out at book club” type of story, this might actually be the only novel ever written about fly fishing with your best girlfriends.

The main characters are distinctively written and make the story sparkle. The heart of the group is widowed Rose who has been fly fishing since childhood. Besides Rose, Sophie is the only one who previously knew how to fly fish; in fact, she met Rose in a fly shop. After separately meeting Veronica and Amanda in a random manner, Sophie encourages each of them to come to Rose’s cabin for a girls’ weekend to learn how to fly fish. Their cabin getaways are a way to recharge, have some “girl time,” and, of course, enjoy fly fishing. When the women rescue a naked woman from the river, their close-knit group expands to five.

Set in Colorado, this character-driven book crept into my heart slowly but surely. Written in first person in five alternating perspectives, it took me a while to become absorbed in this leisurely-paced story. Although I would have liked a quicker pace, it fit well with the fishing theme; anyone who has spent any time fishing knows that it is not exactly the fastest-moving sport.

There is a nice mix of the girls’ personal lives and their fun get-togethers. Amanda has a particularly compelling storyline. She struggles to raise two young children while worrying about her husband, who is on a one-year military deployment in Afghanistan.

In the early sections, there is too much emphasis on each character’s detailed backstory, including how they met and became close friends. There are also long explanations of what fly fishing is all about, including the necessary equipment and apparel. While this information is informative, it bogs down the beginning of the story. Once the major characters are firmly introduced, the plot moves along on a more defined path. In the second half, I couldn’t put the book down and stayed up way too late to finish it. I had become so invested in the characters’ lives that I was sad to leave them behind on the last page.

The descriptions are so vivid that I felt like I was right there fishing and laughing with the group. I could even smell the hazelnut lattes and picture the quilts Rose made for each woman. There are a few interesting plot twists, but a quiet beauty shines through the pages whenever the girls simply go fly fishing.

As much as I enjoyed the book, I spotted approximately nine errors. The errors include a missing word, an incorrect word, no space after a comma, no line break between two paragraphs, and incorrect tenses. In addition, the author’s incorrect way of putting a space between each dot in each ellipsis often results in one or two of the dots appearing on the next line.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a thoroughly enjoyable read with a relatable cast of characters. I recommend this story to anyone who wants to get lost in a good book with an unusual theme. Rose, Amanda, Veronica, Sophie, and Melody…I won’t soon forget you.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 124
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 1875
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 30 Jan 2018, 09:09

A book revolving around fishing and a bunch of women who bond through their love of fly fishing? Sounds refreshing. I liked it when the descriptions make you feel you are part of the tale. Too bad about the over-detailed backstory, the errors, and the long explanations about fly fishing. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it despite those issues. Great review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

kandscreeley
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Third Thaw by Karl J. Hanson

Post by kandscreeley » 30 Jan 2018, 09:24

You know, I noticed the ellipsis thing too. It was kind of irritating. I also agree about too much back story in the beginning. I think it could have been incorporated more into the story instead of having it all in one chunk in the beginning. Great review! Thanks for the loads of information!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 30 Jan 2018, 10:19

Thanks Gali and Kandscreeley! My draft for this review was much longer because there was a lot to discuss about five main characters. I deleted a lot and the review is still long, so you can imagine how much longer it initially was. :)
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: The Road to Trump by Shay McNeal

Post by kislany » 30 Jan 2018, 15:01

I usually do have issues with many alternate points of view (I do get confused quite easily). However, I love character-driven stories, so there's that. Great review, I really enjoyed reading it.

Mouricia25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 216
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia25 » 30 Jan 2018, 15:35

This seems like a book I would read. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Lg_99
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 » 30 Jan 2018, 16:09

I have never read nor heard about a book dealing with fly fishing. Mixing friendship with this concept is quite creative, and the reason why I want to read this book. Thank you for the review.

Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G » 30 Jan 2018, 17:50

Thank you for a thoughtful review! I can imagine this book have a regional appeal, perhaps in areas of the country where fly fishing is a common recreational activity.

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 30 Jan 2018, 18:03

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback. LG_99 - I also thought the fly fishing theme was a fresh take on the usual women's friendship type of story. Kislany - Like you, I sometimes gets confused by too many alternating perspectives. Although it slowed the pace in this case, I did "seeing" things from each character's point of view.

Guddu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Guddu » 30 Jan 2018, 19:59

Good concept of fly fishing. First time ever heard about a book written on it.

KwachieAdie
Currently Reading: Eyes Don't Lie
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by KwachieAdie » 31 Jan 2018, 18:28

The cover of the book is top class and attracted me to read it and i wasn't disappointed about the content . This is top notch content

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 01 Feb 2018, 10:23

Thanks Guddu and KwachieAdie and welcome to the forums! Guddu, I agree it's an original theme for a story.

Bhagchandjain
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Bhagchandjain » 01 Feb 2018, 11:14

The subject of novel is regional and connected with particular activity but how deeply acted upon it’s a really a work written with passion love and emotions carrying thoughts of river : congratulations for giving thoughts in tide of river at the high stream of waves

Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Rajanis » 01 Feb 2018, 11:53

Aptly named 'Reel Sisters', it is the story of story of five women who bond over fly fishing. Errors do make it difficult to read though you have liked it. Thanks for the review.

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 01 Feb 2018, 12:31

Thanks Rajanis for taking the time to read my review. Although the errors are not too distracting, the author would have benefitted from an extra round of professional editing.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”