Review by Sahani Nimandra -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have any of you ever wondered why life is so good to people who cheat and that it does not come back to bite them? Well! William H. Coles will walk you through this, in his outstanding book, the McDowell. This book seriously had something to say and I noticed there were a lot hidden meanings. What I found so captivating was that this book contained some very insightful, mind-bending and transformative experience that it offers to its reader. The book is separated into two parts, and the first, the rise of the protagonist and the second, his fall. The book consisted of 72 characters and each chapter was strikingly eventful that it won't fail to reduce the interest of the reader.

Background of the plot was set in Nepal and the United States; it also reflected on the customs and the cultural background it was enriched in. The plot questioned about morality, to a certain extent and it also highlighted how messed up the key characters lives were. Skills of the author were unquestionable since in his book, he was very successful in capturing every topic that sometimes may be considered a taboo in other societies. The book consisted of adultery, revenge, conspiracy, sabotaged and forbidden relationships, broken childhood, corruption, anything that is illegal and unacceptable to the society.

The story is about a man who is ambitious, self-centred and an obnoxious person named Hiram McDowell, who carried an l-don't-give-a-damn attitude was a typical character; a cheating husband that never respected relationships, an irresponsible father and an untrustworthy colleague. He worked his way to power by corruption and deceit until one day when the tables turned. The matter got worst when he committed euthanasia and was sentenced for 25 years. During his imprisonment he broke free and escaped to the wilderness, cursing all the people that made his life so hard until one day, when he meet someone that challenged him on what he though.

The book is exceptional! Even though it has been said that the rise of Hiram is in part one and his fall in part two; I personally believe that the rise of the protagonist was in part two. The best thing that ever happened to Hiram's life was the jail-break, which brought him away from corruption and deceit. The flow in his life after the jail-break was when he really started to live.

The book was very insightful! I personally found my self admiring different characters who taught him different things about life, changing his views and perspectives. Some advices were very powerful that moved me, e.g. “... you need to think about who you are, what you want in life and what you want now. How your desires and dreams might have caused wrong decisions on your way to the top... don't let your emotions cloud the truth”. My attitude towards the protagonist was, is-this-man-for-real? He clearly lacked the human affections a person is supposed to have, which resulted in me sympathizing him, since in reality he was truly lost.

The author has used a narrative approach, where he communicates with his reader to tell the background of the story and what runs in the characters mind. The story is straight forward that does not leave anything in a suspenseful state that would trouble the reader. This suite the plot exceeding as it is a continuous flow of the protagonist life. The author has used an introductory picture in each part which pretty much tells the follow-up stories.

The author also took the opportunity to highlight the issues in the corporate world, specially favouritism; and how favouritism is gained by sex. There were no explicit details on this subject matter, but only mentioned. Therefore, I can recommend it to anyone. I can honestly give this book a 4 out of 4 stars, even though there were vocabulary errors it does not create any hindrance for the reader; I believe a final touch up would help. Finally, I would like to share an interesting detail that I came across when I was reading this book and I quote, “it’s no good if people seek success and money only for their own satisfaction and self-worth. People content in themselves learn to give selflessly, without concern for personal gain, to learn the joy of being human. How many times a day do we do things for others that are really for our own pleasure and advancement?”. I believe it is something for all of us to think about!

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

William H. Coles' unpredictable story lines in his book McDowell, hook us up from the start and surprise us at the end. He featured Hiram McDowell's story as the living legend that even the most despicable person on earth is not deprived of redemption.

Please read my voluntary review of this book here. ⬇️
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52088
Sahani Nimandra

Dolor wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 07:19 William H. Coles' unpredictable story lines in his book McDowell, hook us up from the start and surprise us at the end. He featured Hiram McDowell's story as the living legend that even the most despicable person on earth is not deprived of redemption.

Please read my voluntary review of this book here. ⬇️
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52088
Yes definitely! And yes it was an eye opener. I believe that everyone deserves a second chance in life. William H. Coles proved this!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

McDowell is a beautiful story full of twists and turns. The character of this arrogant doctor is somehow reality- based. Thanks for this thought provoking review. I have also reviewed this book. you can check it.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Sahani Nimandra

Sarah Tariq wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 13:12 McDowell is a beautiful story full of twists and turns. The character of this arrogant doctor is somehow reality- based. Thanks for this thought provoking review. I have also reviewed this book. you can check it.
Your welcome and thank you very much! Sarah,
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I have read the review which gave me an idea of what a personality McDowell is. His rise and fall could impart some lessons that might serve well any discerning reader. The greed, materialistic, and egoistic attributes of the main character may have catapulted the main character to some heights, but were also the same damning factors that led to his downfall. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
Sahani Nimandra

Roggyrus wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 23:20 I have read the review which gave me an idea of what a personality McDowell is. His rise and fall could impart some lessons that might serve well any discerning reader. The greed, materialistic, and egoistic attributes of the main character may have catapulted the main character to some heights, but were also the same damning factors that led to his downfall. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
You are welcome! I am glad you found my review resourceful.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I like your review. I think you lay out your thoughts really well, and I'll definitely use some of your techniques when I write my next review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great job. I like how you describe the book as being divided into the two parts of the rise and fall of the main character. Your final comments about favoritism in the corporate world were spot on. Nice work. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read this one as well. I also enjoyed it, although it's definitely character based. Some who enjoy more action in a story wouldn't necessarily like it. Thanks for your review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra

AbbyGNelson wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 13:57 I like your review. I think you lay out your thoughts really well, and I'll definitely use some of your techniques when I write my next review!
Hahahahhahahahahhahahahaha, then I need to keep up my writing skills to be good at what I do!
Sahani Nimandra

kdstrack wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 15:24 Great job. I like how you describe the book as being divided into the two parts of the rise and fall of the main character. Your final comments about favoritism in the corporate world were spot on. Nice work. Thanks.
Thanks for your comments! Kdstrack
Sahani Nimandra

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 08:55 I've read this one as well. I also enjoyed it, although it's definitely character based. Some who enjoy more action in a story wouldn't necessarily like it. Thanks for your review!
That's is true! I could not agree with you more . A person who is more interested in understandings the philosophy of life would find this book very entertaining. Thanks for commenting! Kandscreeley
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I can really tell from your review how much you enjoyed this novel. Thank you sharing your review with us!
Sahani Nimandra

CommMayo wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 15:07 I can really tell from your review how much you enjoyed this novel. Thank you sharing your review with us!
Thank you for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”