Official Review: Sacrificed to Vanity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Sacrificed to Vanity

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sacrificed to Vanity" by Karen Lucille Gross.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tracy Wilson and Calista Dubois are opposites in every sense. The only things the two girls have in common are the facts that they are both teenage girls, who also attend the same high school, and just happen to be locker neighbors. While Calista is fashion-savvy with the getup she wears, Tracy would be happy if she could wear slippers and more ‘comfortable’ clothes to school. It isn’t long before challenging circumstances, such as teen pregnancy, abortion, loss, and grief force their worlds together. Will these difficulties they face be enough for them to put aside their differences? Will they absorb all the valuable lessons their difficult but different journeys bring forth?

Sacrificed to Vanity by Karen Lucille Gross is a work of fiction that takes readers through some of the trials and tribulations that come with teenage pregnancy. First published in March of 2015 by WestBowPress, it is the first book in the Legacy of Grace series.

The first quarter of Sacrificed to Vanity reminded me of Mean Girls; the social pressure, fashion-conscious cliques, and the condescending but hilarious remarks. Admittedly, that was the part of the book that I enjoyed. From there, it all became a little too repetitive. Anytime certain characters had a choice to make they resorted to prayer, I get that the author wanted to portray some characters as prayerful, but I thought it was a little overdone. Additionally, it was a little annoying the way the author used the word, ‘Neanderthal’ repetitively to describe how specific characters’ viewpoints are perceived.

The book would have been better if the viewpoints of teen pregnancy and abortion represented therein did not come off as incredibly biased and subjective. Pro-choice characters were all painted as evil and self-centered, thus the title of the book, Sacrificed to Vanity. The story made it seem as though not being pro-life translates to one being pro-abortion, which is false. I understand that this is a work of fiction, but most of the viewpoints shared in this book were misleading and one-sided. Most of what was communicated came off as preachy. I thought that is a missed opportunity of the author to communicate her pro-life message efficiently; perhaps it would have been better if the author, using the characters in her novel, made a moral argument for her stance, rather than a religious one. Also, she could have given an objective/multidimensional perspective on the issue which would have added to the richness of the story without taking away her message/stance.

I also had an issue with the boxing up of all the non-religious characters into the mean or evil or pro-abortion slot, while those that were Christian were kind, morally sound, and of course, pro-life; I found that all the supporting characters were, at best, cardboard characters. In addition, the plot was super predictable at times, as it was easy to tell who had done what, while the characters in the book took ages to figure it out. All these made Sacrificed to Vanity a lot less believable and dreary.

“She spouted the standard politically correct rhetoric that women have the right to wear whatever style of clothing they like.” (pg. 50). Another message that the author puts forth in the story (specifically chapter twenty) is that women have no right to wear specific clothing, i.e. skinny jeans as this may lead to the temptation of men, which then leads to unplanned pregnancies; thus it is the responsibility of the woman to dress ‘appropriately.’ I found that suggestion/message to be problematic mostly because people communicate with words, and it is more important to ask and listen to what people say than to assume what they want based on their clothes.

Considering everything I mentioned above, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. There was a part of the story that described how a late-term abortion is performed, but I could not find anything online to verify that what was described was accurate. This is not a book I would recommend unless you share the same opinions as the author, and won’t be bothered by the other flaws mentioned in this review.

Sacrificed to Vanity
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The review seem to reflect on the reality of the lives that teenagers lead, the circumstances they may face through that phase of life. I also noted indirectly the importance of adults (parents) guidance in their lives. Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Excellent review, and even though I have not read the book I am inclined to agree with you. It's true that some teen fiction tends to make fun of young people with a faith, and that's entirely wrong, but it strikes me this book maybe errs too far in the other direction. Life is rarely that simple.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There was a lot of good information here, but I do have a slight issue (I hope you don't mind me saying so.) Is this book billed as Christian fiction? Because, if it is, I don't know that you can count certain of these things against the author. Now if it was billed as a regular novel, that might be different. However, if it's supposed to be Christian fiction there are going to be certain things that you should expect. That's just my opinion, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Teen pregnancy and abortion are very delicate topics to handle in any situation. I agree with you that an author must not send the erroneous message that ONLY religious people are against abortion. However, this review leads me to believe this is a religious book written to aid teenagers to avoid living the pain that comes with an abortion. Thanks for your honest review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”