Official Review: Bridge Ten by Harry B. Dodge III

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Official Review: Bridge Ten by Harry B. Dodge III

Post by Scrawling Pen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bridge Ten" by Harry B. Dodge III.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not much fighting seemed to be happening in the little village 10,210 miles away from Washington, D.C.; 9,828 miles from Memphis; and 10,620 miles from Atlanta. Although in the midst of the Vietnam War, the men in this book seem to mostly be fighting the heat, the regulations of their arrogant sergeant and lieutenant, and, even worse, the boredom. The fictional book Bridge Ten by Harry B. Dodge III is an interesting and honest peek at the Vietnam War in a new setting than I had never before witnessed.

The book follows the story of Hal, a young, drafted soldier. By his side, fellow soldiers Sonny, Bo, and Tennessee keep each other company and provide entertainment as they guard the Bridge Ten outside a small Vietnamese village. To keep themselves occupied, much to the dislike of the military personnel in charge, the men are often found at a nearby place sipping cold Cokes, swimming in the less than desirable water, or spending time with the local kids. Although there is not much fighting during the book, I never felt like the book itself was boring. It was relatively short, and the realistic situations kept me captivated. The children of the village also made quite a few appearances, and their humor provided some entertainment to both the men in the story and the readers.

I was especially pleased with how realistic this book felt. The dialogue, specifically, was very well done. I could easily imagine each person speaking, and everything from word choice to punctuation gave the characters unique voices.

I also liked some of the important and somewhat controversial topics that were brought up in the book. Friends and family of these soldiers back home were often not in favor of the war, and it was interesting to get a perspective through the eyes of the soldiers. Most of them were drafted and never asked to be shipped over to Vietnam, and they would have given anything to go home. It was disheartening for them to realize that they would not have much public support when they did return home. Another topic that was briefly mentioned was the treatment of the native Vietnamese citizens. Although not a large aspect of the book, there were glimpses of it. It was saddening to see how some American soldiers were so ignorant and blatantly disrespected the Vietnamese.

I rate Bridge Ten 3 out of 4 stars. I did enjoy the story, and I would recommend it to other readers interested in historical fiction or fictional war stories. I could not give it a perfect rating because there were a fair number of grammatical errors that I found.

It is important to note that because of the realism, not all aspects of the book may be pleasant, or even appropriate, for readers. Throughout the story, there is strong usage of profanity, drugs, and prostitution. Personally, I found that, although not pleasant, these scenes often helped depict the truly rough situations that these men at war may have found themselves in.

Bridge Ten
View: on Bookshelves

Like Scrawling Pen's review? Post a comment saying so!
LorJones4
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorjones4.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by LorJones4 »

Your review made me interested in reading "Bridge Ten". Thank you.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I believe short stories may help anyone who is in need of a quality time for themselves. The book seem interesting and I think it will attract the audience who are interested in war time stories. Good book and thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

This sounds like a book that I’d be interested in reading. You do a good job of describing the book and pointing out its positive aspects.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound rather interesting. This was a very controversial war, so to see those topics raised provokes my curiosity. Also, I think it's unique that the author put this in a village that doesn't see much fighting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I like reading books about war stories and anything in the similar context. Thank you for the insightful review. I look forward to reading this book.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

While not my genre of book, this sounds very much like something I would recommend to my father. Nice review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”