Official Review: Shellbee's Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Shellbee's Story

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shellbee's Story" by Jennifer Flynn-Campbell, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shellbee’s Story by Jennifer Flynn-Campbell, PhD is a collection of letters written by Shellbee Ann Campbell, a black Labrador. In her collection of letters, Shellbee recalls many fond memories of her life. From the day she was brought home by her human litter-mates, to puppy school, meeting human and canine friends, going on adventures to various vacations with her mommy and pappy, and undergoing some medical procedures, Shellbee tells all with her candid and optimistic voice.

The author masterfully captures the essence of a canine narrator. From the very first page, I never questioned that Shellbee herself was narrating this story. Shellbee's simplistic, yet complex thoughts and feeling-driven actions give the reader the impression that the narrative is told through the eyes of a dog. I was captivated by Shellbee’s optimistic and bubbly tone; in fact, many times Shellbee reminded me of my very own dog, Luna. I loved how the author was able to successfully convey Shellbee’s narration; I couldn’t stop smiling while I read Shellbee’s words.

In addition to Shellbee’s authentic voice, the book personifies Shellbee to a degree that is realistic without being overdone. Shellbee’s sometimes scatterbrained narrative, canine attitude and basic understanding of her ‘human litter-mates’ all reminded me of my life with my own dog. There were so many ‘aha!’ moments in this story where I knew exactly what Shellbee was experiencing because I’d had the same emotional experience with my canine companion. The realism of Shellbee's story created a touching tone throughout the narrative. Anyone who has ever lived with a dog, or had a true connection with one, will easily relate to Shellbee’s experiences and smile at her recollection of various events.

Told through a series of letters written by Shellbee herself, there’s no defined storyline throughout the book. Each letter focuses on different experiences or aspects of Shellbee’s life, covering her life from the time she was brought home as a puppy, but not necessarily in chronological order. Unfortunately, this format was the book’s only downfall. Although Shellbee’s voice is strong and resonates throughout each and every word of every letter, there was nothing that made me want to keep reading after I’d finished one of her letters. Some letters stood out far more than others, like Shellbee’s descriptions of her job as a therapy dog, while others felt mundane at times and repetitive in some cases. This book may have been more successful if it was written in the style of a continuous story, much like The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Similar to Shellbee’s Story, Stein captured the essence of a canine narrator; however, Stein was much more successful at conveying his narrator’s life in a story-like narrative instead of via seemingly random snippets.

For anyone who has ever fallen in love with a dog, this book will touch your heart and remind you of many of your fondest experiences with your canine friend. I had a difficult time rating this book; I considered a 3 star rating at first because of the format of the book and the overall lack of anticipation from one letter to the next. However, there were many aspects I could relate to within Shellbee’s narrative, and Shellbee herself was a wonderful narrator. Further, this book evoked a lot of emotion in me, and I have to give the author credit for writing such a moving story, despite my negative critiques. Thus, I give Shellbee’s Story 4 out of 4 stars. Dog lovers who are interested in reading from the perspective of a canine companion will adore Shellbee’s storytelling and get a lot of joy from reading this book.

Shellbee's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Malo niko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Malo niko »

Interesting book but contains unclear scenes from the extract provides.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love this concept. Animals are so fun, and each one has their own personality. This sounds like an easy and lighthearted read! I'll put it on my list. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

Due to the fact that narrator, here Shellbee is a very educated person, with PhD, we can judge that she wrote perfectly her book, being a book of 100% emotions, feeling and moving! Although it's claimed that the book lacks cohesion, mainly in the series of letters between them, the whole meaning of the book is far above this small ''inconvenience'' for reader.
The book is destined to those who particularly love animals and know how to communicate with them. In this case the dog seems to behave like a human, without any unsuccessful communication, as animal. Indeed, the dog, that is so much loved by author, can easily communicate with its boss (here Shellbee), and has a plenty of emotions to give her.
Either it's a puppy, or a bigger dog, or a cat for example, this book can be comphrehended by those who love animals. I am one of them, knowing how much emotional status of animals, can be higher than the one of humans many times. Animals, understand much more than we think, they only don't speak. They consolate their boss at difficult moments, show tenderness to him/her, and have often supreme feelings! I am one of them, living for almost all my life so far, with dogs and cats at home. It's terrible for soul to lose an animal, that has proven to love you, or you've showed to it your love as human as well as gratitude! And if a beloved animal dies, due aging, and boss as human is still alive, it's very painful, Thank God, good animals can be replaced afterwards, with some of this kind, and it's true, that the next animal, you'll take home, to replace the previous one, can equally love you as a new boss, if you show to it, the same feelings you had for the previous one!
For all this, I give to Shellbee 4 stars for this book, wishing her all the best in the future, as a sensible narrator, that writes rather with heart, instead of a ''pen''...!..
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

I imagine that dog lovers would highly appreciate this book! Not quite sure it is my style, but if I were in the right mood, well, then maybe. I am glad you enjoyed it, however. :) Thanks for the review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Beautiful, just beautiful! I love the way the author could think through the mind-set of a dog and enforce a lot positivity and happiness, not only it gives a positive mindset to the reader it will also be a happy-read-time. Love it and love the idea of the book. I believe one can truly enjoy reading this book. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Luigi Mendoza
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Luigi Mendoza »

i love the concept but there are several scene that gives me a hard time to understand
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

That was a nice review. Learnt so much from it!
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I love dogs and wanna have one. But sadly, not allowed to have one. I am really loving the overall review. And would love to read this novel .
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I've always wanted to know what my dog is thinking. My son would probably love this book.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I love dogs and this book from the point of view of one sounds very interesting to me. I am glad you found it good. I will read it too.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another insightful review as always. :) I'm glad you were able to appreciate the wonderful aspects of the book, even though there was not much propelling the story forward. I applaud the author since it's not easy to capture the first-person perpective of a dog.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book written from the POV of a dog in the formats of letters sounds lovely. It is great that the author manages to capture the essence of the dog, and that she is realistic without being overdone. Too bad the unique format was also the book's downfall. I read and loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain", so it is a pity the author was less successful at conveying her narrator’s life. Still, it sounds like she did a goo job based on your review. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

A dog tells her story through a series of letters. This sounds like an awesome read for a dog lover such as myself. A lot of aha moments where it helps you see through your dogs eyes. I can't to read it grabbed my #free copy thanks and congrats on being BOTD
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I absolutely love dogs but this does not interest me. I like to think about what my dog is thinking and how she reacts to different situations but that is not something I want to read about someone else's dog. That being said it sounds like this book is enjoyed so that's good!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”