Review by KasieMiehlke -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
KasieMiehlke
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: Land of the Silver Apples
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Review by KasieMiehlke -- The Reel Sisters

Post by KasieMiehlke » 17 Jan 2018, 01:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being an avid fisher, I was instantly drawn to the title of this book. I was hoping it would capture the magic of fishing and that it did. The characters are so well developed in the beginning of the story, yet they grow as they face life’s ups and downs. The imagery was phenomenal and transported me into the story. I have not been this emotional when reading a book in a very long time. I could not put The Reel Sisters down.

Rose, Sophie, Amanda, and Veronica all gather at Rose’s cabin for a weekend full of friendship, stories, wine and fishing. While out fishing they are startled by a naked girl washing downstream towards them. As the weekend draws to an end they go back to their everyday lives, but would this strange weekend change their lives forever?

I wanted to become friends with these ladies from the very beginning . The author, Michelle Cummings, does a fantastic job at creating these characters. Rose is the down to earth grandma that always knows more than you think and is ready to give you a good dose of reality when needed. Sophie is the tomboy caretaker that puts everyone before herself. Veronica is the powerful alpha female. Amanda is the classic girl next door. These women, while already developed, must change throughout the book as they face the hardships of life. This book shows how sometimes you need a helping hand in life even if you don’t see it and sometimes it appears unexpectedly.

Cummings manages to capture the magic of fishing with The Reel Sisters. The depth of detail and imagery pulls you into the scenes unlike most stories I have read recently. The peacefulness and solitude washes over the reader. She manages to incorporate all the feelings you get while you are out fishing no matter where you are reading this book. I wanted to pick up and disappear to Rose’s cabin myself.

I give The Reel Sisters, by Michelle Cummings, 4 out of 4 stars. This book has excellent character growth and uses expert imagery. It shows how something so simple can be an unbreakable bond amongst friends. It is like Golden Girls meets Field and Stream. I laughed, I cried, and I grieved with the characters throughout the book. I have not been this emotionally involved in a book in quite some time. If you love the outdoors and relatable stories, I highly recommend this book. It will have you hooked from the very beginning.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!

yakubtaofeeq
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yakubtaofeeq » 29 Jan 2018, 05:04

Nice review.... He is such a good writer. Nice summary and wonderful comments...

uyky
2018 Reading Goal: 33
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 39
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by uyky » 29 Jan 2018, 16:15

I like how it seems that all characters are thought through and they sound realistic, even though finding girl in the stream not so much. Of course, anything can happen and I haven't read it yet. Thank you for the review.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Match by T. Wayne Bloodworth

Post by bookowlie » 01 Feb 2018, 10:27

Nice review! I also read this book and, like you, wished I could be friends with the characters. I loved your description of Golden Girls meets Field and Stream!
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing

Lili-pad
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Islands games
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lili-pad » 11 Feb 2018, 13:43

Your review is rather refreshing compared to the others, that I have read. It may have to do with your knowledge of fishing and as such, you captivated the true essence of Cummings'prose. Likewise you have motivated me to give the 'The Reel Sisters ' a try.

Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes » 16 Feb 2018, 12:05

Thank you for a beautiful and refreshing review. Your words truly makes one want to start reading this tale immediately.

Ezekielafog12
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ezekielafog12 » Yesterday, 16:11

Your words truly makes one want to start reading this tale immediately,Wonderful review

BookishCreature
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by BookishCreature » Yesterday, 16:56

Great review! I happen to disagree with you about this book, but I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”