Official Review: Everything Solid Has a Shadow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Re: Official Review: Everything Solid Has a Shadow

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad that you liked the book. Its nice that the author's vocabulary impressed you. Thanks for the review.
crashdnt
Currently Reading: The Cuban Affair
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashdnt.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by crashdnt »

Thanks for the great review. It's not a book I would have read until I read your review. The depth of the plot being deeper than you imagined as well as the character's development continually progressing made me want to give this book a try.
GBN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by GBN »

:D Not a big fan of most psychological thrillers but this one sounds interesting. I am anticipating reading this one. What a wonderful review.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

A boy with psychological problems starts seeing things, not really sure what this story is about from the synopsis. The beginning appears to be well written but it didn't grab my attention, so I'm going to give this one a miss.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

Psychological mysteries usually intrigue me, and the depth of the plot and character development makes this one stand out as something I have to read. Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

This is a good review and I appreciate. For me, I found it difficult to read and it had a hard time holding my attention. Maybe I just need to give it another chance at a different time. The book just wasn't grabbing me today.
ruchira
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ruchira »

Well, i agreed with review!!!
amy1825
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy1825.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by amy1825 »

I enjoyed how you mentioned the depth of the plot and that it is in first person narrative. Information like that can be quite helpful when deciding on which book to read next!
Kaliarii
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H.
Bookshelf Size: 16
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Kaliarii »

Not for boasting, but context, I hold a degree in English, and I tend to use a higher vocabulary level when I talk. That said, I struggled to get through even the first chapter of this one. I'm sure the experience of essentially causing a friend's baby sister's death was incredibly traumatic; logic dictates that it would be. But there is absolutely no feeling imparted on the reader that the character felt anything about it at all. In fact, with the cold and frankly obtuse way the event is "recalled," it was difficult to really understand that she'd actually died at all until the final sentence is read and really thought about.

Still, I pushed through partway into chapter 2, because maybe the author intended the first chapter to also be character building, and to be intentionally vague because traumatic experiences are typically vague things; our memories have holes where we overcompensate to fill in the gaps. And then chapter 2 was even more blocky, and the dialogue more contrived, and I couldn't do it anymore. To me, the chapter and a half I trudged through seemed more like the author decided to write a book showing off his undeniable skill with a thesaurus, rather than writing a book to actually convey a story.

But considering the glowing reviews on both Amazon and here, maybe I will attempt another reading at a later date and find it more palatable.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for the introduction to Michael Antman's writing. From your review, I am compelled to want to read it. The dream and its interpretation make it even more intriguing.
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by princessERI »

The title is already catchy. I read the first chapter and it already caught my interest. I love the mystery shrouded in the main character and his dreams. The introduction is good and that bit of past of the main character's childhood before going into the present. The transition of time is smoothly done. Furthermore, a first person narration and how detailed the descriptions of the scenario, the settings and the characters. I'm excited to read the rest.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for your great review of this book. I definitely enjoy psychological thrillers and this one sounds like my dream novel! I am impressed that there are no spelling mistakes as there seems to be at least a few mistakes in every book that I have read lately.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

Wonderful review, and it makes me excited to read this book. I especially will be interested in the dream sequences. I must put this on my to be read list immediately!
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
Wambuie424
Currently Reading: Cabin by the Lake
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Wambuie424 »

Awesome review. A haunting past and the mystery make me want to know more. I am definitely adding this to my read shelf and giving it a try.
mosero
Currently Reading: Bud by the Grace of God
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosero.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by mosero »

The story you have just analysed sound unique to me. I would love to go through it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”