Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Re: Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by kwame1977 »

This story touches domestic issues and that's great. Although I see the review a bit confusing I perceive the book is a good one. I will definitely read. Well done Jennie.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

Thanks for the great review. I just finished with the sample, and it sounds like a good read. I already love the detailed scenes and dialogue.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. Just reading the sample I see exactly what you mean. I could see the dirt covered feet and smell the stinking shoes. I could feel the crowded bed. This author is very talented and I look forward to more stories from her in the future.
tmakhoali
Currently Reading: The House on Crooked Pond
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmakhoali.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tmakhoali »

This review is nothing short of exceptional and it has made me want to read the book even further after sampling it.Thanks for painting such a clear picture as to what really happens in the book, best of all I can relate as to why you have mixed feelings about Natalie at the end.
Great Review.
crashdnt
Currently Reading: The Cuban Affair
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashdnt.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by crashdnt »

Thanks for your review. I was intrigued after reading the sample on Amazon. However, after reading your glowing review and the fact you recommended it for adults as well as teens, this is a book I will put on my "to read" list.
Reb63OBC
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reb63obc.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Reb63OBC »

By what I read from the sample was very moving. The characters were well portrayed. You could feel the tension.
When I have the money, I'll buy the full version.

Rebecca Fahlin
GranPeg
Currently Reading: Once in a Blue Year
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-granpeg.html

Post by GranPeg »

I enjoyed your review. I had read the sample chapters. At first I was thinking that this book is not for me, but by the time I got to the end of the sample chapters I definitely wanted to know what came next.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This story sounds very emotional and impactful. Whenever a reviewer recommends a book so passionately, I have to give it a look. I'm not usually into stories where a girl falls for the husband of someone close to them, but if another reader backs it so emphatically, I should open my mind to it. Congrats on the #BOTD!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

A "coming of age" story that
gets under the skin of the reader
Alcoholism, abuse, discrimination, marriage fidelity... quite a hefty undertaking for a story. Interesting to use the chapters to explore different themes of the same story..
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

Wow.with these your explanation,am already falling in love for the book,i think i will also enjoy the book the way you enjoyed it,Big Thanks for the review,God bless you
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

The author sounds like an amazing story teller. Seems the perfect book for every book lover, as you said. Thanks for your detailed review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

Excellent answer well-written review. I loved the sample of this and can understand how quickly a reader could become immersed! Looking forward to reading the rest of this at some point!
steelamazon
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by steelamazon »

Quite a fascinating review with beautiful character analysis. Got me into the thought of reading the book already. Thank you. I really can't wait to read through those pages.
NZA
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NZA »

I did quite like your review and it has to some extent convinced me to pick up the book, which I otherwise wouldn’t have owing to an overused theme of extramarital affairs with younger women. The most striking thing in this review was that you left with mixed feelings about a character that suffers abuse. The protagonist must have to be very layered to have elicited such a response from you. Hopefully, I will pick up this book.
Pauline Gilman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pauline Gilman »

Vickie Noel wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 17:55 Wow, what a glowing review, I felt myself gently flowing with the peaceful river-life descriptions sprinkled all over it and on getting to the end, I'm truly craving to read the novel. I can relate to Natalie in more ways than one and I'm curious to find out why your feelings shifted gears from totally rooting for her to being mixed. Congrats to the author for such rave remarks and thanks for this awesome work!
I really like the review of this book it makes me very curious and want to read the entire book. I will definitely encourage my friends and relative to read this novel

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”