Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Re: Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Gods Monkey »

I’m happy for the reviewers first novel of 2018 being so perfect. I’m surprised this is the second book in a row that got a glowing review.
August1959
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-august1959.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by August1959 »

The review is well-written and engaging. It's insights to the miserable life of Natalie is interesting and made me want to read the book right away to find out how she turned out to be, especially when the reviewer wrote she later on had mixed feelings about her in the latter part of the book. The review provided a comprehensive summary and presented the characters in such a way that I would like to know more about them. Placing IronBark Hill on top of my want to read list.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Sounds awesome. Great review. This book seems like an enjoyable read. I will be checking this out.
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

A teenager book with maturity, the author has touched from the issue of sibling rivalry to the matter of domestic violence. I am glad Ironbark Hill is BOTD.
Zvjezdana Sever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zvjezdana-sever.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Zvjezdana Sever »

Beautiful review!
Even after a few pages of the book, I could feel my teeth clutching and muscles tensing. The author quickly pulls a reader into the whirlpool of personal tragedy and efforts to fight it, and you can feel the physical effects. A must read!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Your review is vivid and I am hooked. Fabulous Review. Sixteen-year-old Natalie who lives in an abusive house with her abusive, alcoholic stepfather Alex. She starts working for the Grover family where she falls in love with a married man, her employer Rosemary’s husband Bruce Grover. Surely a page-turner.
duffieldkr+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by duffieldkr+ »

Although Natalie's character was fictional, I felt her fears. I too grew up in an alcoholic home and found myself many times protecting my mother from my father. The book was not an easy read for me personally, but I did enjoy it.
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

Wow! This book sounds amazing, it's storyline is what most of us can relate to.With such praize, cann't wait to get my copy.
Great review!
JandNL
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by JandNL »

I would like very much to read more than the sample. This story is engaging from the first page. Natty and her family are believable characters, and I am very familiar with the psychological cycle of abuse. Congratulations to Ms. Linnane!
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I too found the 2ay the author described things to be quite enchanting. I've only read the sample, but the way she described her abusive step fathers actions had me wanting to jump to thrir defence. Great review thanks.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
speedie
Currently Reading: Asymptote
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by speedie »

Fantastic review on a book well worth reading! The book captured me in a few pages.
rosky54
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rosky54 »

I read the sample pages and the Official Review. The sample pages were captivating from the beginning as the author draws you in to a very clear description of a family struggling to earn a living & the family dynamics of alcohol and abuse disfunction . The layers of emotion and survival in this family is not any different than what many experience in real day to day living. The review indicates the all of these components continue throughout the entire book. I'm looking forward to reading it's entirety.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I don't think this is a book for me. While I enjoyed the author's writing style and usage of fantastic vocabulary, I found the story to be a bit dull.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I like how descriptive the book is. I felt as if I were with the main character, seeing the world through her eyes. I am also interested in how the relationship with her stepfather and Mr. Glover turns out. I look forward to read this intriguing story. Thank you for the insightful review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I have enjoyed reading your review and makes me want to pick up the book. Natalie is forced to go through a lot from an abusive step father. I like her sense of responsibility as the eldest child.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”