Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by chelhack »

I joined the online book club in the middle of May so I am not caught up on reading this book yet but judging the the review it is a book I would like to get a chance to read
Chelsea N. Hackett
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

When I first saw the book I wasn't really drawn to it. Reading your review has proven that you can not judge a book by its cover. Thank you for your awesome review. Will be looking forward to reading this book.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway
Mehreen Tanzeel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mehreen Tanzeel »

Ironbark hill is an interesting book that explains the turns and flaws of a sixteen year girl Natalie's who is a girl the lives with her family . He has a complete alhcholic father who some also used drugs .Here the author explains that Natalie is living a tough life and managing her professional life with her hard family (personal ) life as She is working in groovers family and she get attracted towards the husband of the lady named Bruce groover.
The author has beautifully married the emotions , the threats and the reasons of a girl to be in depression when she needs love and when she tries to live a happy family life but its hard for her to deal with all the issue at the same but on the other side Bruce reciprocate Natalie love. I have read few chapters from this book each of the chapter beautifully Explains the characters and each chapter feels like an episode that is very interesting and its a complete treat to read this book
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

We feel happy when she is happy. We hope with her, and we dream with her. Her character arc takes an ecstatic turn throughout the novel. In the beginning, I had support and liking for her. However, by the end, I was left with mixed feelings about her.
A good author can actually make his or her reader feel the character's emotions.
I enjoyed reading your review! thanks a lot. :D
Abdex27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Abdex27 »

I like the review, what I like most in reading a book is the feeling like am seeing all things but am just reading the book..
mari22a

Post by mari22a »

I admire the beautiful art in this novel.The manner In which its written shows excellence. The writer will succeed in this field .what matters in a book is about the characters to name a few,we as readers we must befriend our characters to feel their pain and sympathize with them.
Kirigwi254
Currently Reading: Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Kirigwi254 »

I had a chance to read the book this week. Its a good book, not the best I have read so far, but its up there with some of my best books. I like the fact that It was a strong relatable character, Natalie, a good execution of different themes in the different chapters. For me, the writing in first person is not my favorite but I would not write it off. Its a book that I would recommend to anyone and it can definitely be a bestseller.
Ricky 7
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ricky-7.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ricky 7 »

Wow! I like this, sounds fantastic. I have to drag this to my library. This is not a book to leave out. I really mean this. Good and attractive review for sure.
silvaharon
Currently Reading: The Mask of Perpetuity
Bookshelf Size: 563
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvaharon.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by silvaharon »

A captivating review on ironball hill looks like a good read for teen audience but also adults might enjoy it
Jomiroquai
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill

Post by Jomiroquai »

The prologue immediately pulled me in, and I too empathised with Natalie. I am curious to see whether this changes - as you have stated in your review. Well done on such a thorough review. This is one I will be following up on!
21Summber27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by 21Summber27 »

Wow that was a very interesting review and thank you for that however by the mere title of it, as for me I did not find it too catchy though you gave a perfect 4 out of 4 rate. Although your review sounds interesting on halfway-thru however i think its not my cup of tea to completely read the novel. Somehow I recommend others to read it.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I really enjoyed this book! Your review was great! Good job!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I have downloaded this book a while back but have not got around to reading it because the cover doesn't appeal to me. Your review reminded me on why I got it in the first place. I'm definitely reading this next. Thanks for your review.
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

I respected the ideas that the author brought forth in the novel in regards to the abuse Natalie watched and experienced and how that had an affect on her throughout her life and the choices she made. The characters were well developed and each illicited a like and dislike feeling with me. I am a believer that if she had not left her mother's farm then no good would have come of it and perhaps a very different ending.
En1608
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-en1608.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by En1608 »

I was pretty shocked by this review. After just finishing it, I found its flaws to be in the triple digits. The premise was good and I did like the setting and many of the characters, but some things were just way too much for me. For one thing, the entire plotline of Natalie and Bruce Glover is absolutely disgusting to begin with, and it is implied that a sixteen-year-old is having sex with a middle-aged married man! Does the author even hint at the idea that there could be something problematic about this? No. In fact, there are no repercussions at all and the wife is described as not caring? I am not saying there isn't a place for taboo ideas in literature but there were so many problems with the way this was approached. It leaves the reader believing the author has nothing wrong with these things. Moreover, the romantic/sexual dialogue between her and Bruce is absolutely cringe-worthy. Those are just a few of MANY flaws with this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”