Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by ashley_claire »

Special Note: This is a review of an old edition of the book. The book has since been updated and improved since the review based on some of the points in the review.]

[Following is the original OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine not only having a hobby that you love, but sharing that hobby with several of your closest friends. Weekend getaways and shenanigans among friends are bound to ensue. These lighthearted moments are expertly weaved among lessons of companionship and bonds that can never be broken in The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings.

Four women have been brought together over the years through a unique love of fly fishing. While fishing during one of one of their cabin weekends, a woman comes flailing down the river and screaming for help. They manage to pull her out of the water only to realize that she is naked and nearly hypothermic. What starts out as a very awkward situation quickly turns to understanding as the friends learn more about how the woman came to be naked and alone in the river. The group shows her the ropes of fly fishing in the hopes that she'll develop her own love of the sport. But can she open up to these total strangers enough to be welcomed into their sisterhood?

My favorite thing about this book is easily the characters. The book is told through alternating points of view, which allowed me to really dig in to each perspective. Cummings was able to create believable friendships among this group of women who seemingly have nothing in common. Their bond never felt forced and their interaction with each other was amusing to read.

Though it would have been easy to get bogged down in all the fly fishing talk in this book, the author does a wonderful job of balancing the information so it never felt like too much was being thrown at me. As a result, I became genuinely interested in several facets of the the sport and was eager to learn more about their experiences.

One problem I did have with the book was the writing felt stiff at times, particularly the dialogue. There were many instances in the dialogue where contractions weren't used and it interrupted my reading flow because the words didn't feel natural. A couple of examples are when the characters said "it is my favorite" and "you are welcome". I honestly sat there for several minutes trying to remember the last time I heard someone say "you are welcome" instead of "you're welcome" and I couldn't come up with anything. It seems like such a small gripe but it really is the difference between imagining these things being said by real people versus their voices sounding robotic.

Obviously the main theme throughout this book is friendship. Some other themes touched on in the novel include love, motherhood, and empowerment. I love that the book takes on a sport not typically done by many women. I can easily see how this book can help give women the confidence to go outside of their comfort zones and try things they normally wouldn't have the courage to do.

Due to the problems with the writing that I mentioned and the many typos that are present throughout the book, I have to bump it down to 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys women's literature and books about friendship. It would also make a good read for a book club as it has many aspects to dive into and also comes with a set of discussion questions at the end of the book.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I know little about fly fishing so this book would provide some insight. I agree with you that that the lack of contractions in the dialogue makes it sound "robotic."
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Bonface komu mbugua
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bonface komu mbugua »

The book should explain more about fly fishing
gingermoon78
Favorite Book: Pancake Money
Currently Reading: For Ever and Ever
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingermoon78.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by gingermoon78 »

I've never thought that fly fishing is also for women. So, this is refreshing.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Fly fishing? I had to google it to find more about this sport. I agree the plot encourages women to do something different since fly fishing is not a typical women sport and the theme of friendship is always a good one. Too bad about the typos. I hope the author get the book revised again. Thanks for this useful review!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This book sounds like a great novel about friendship. I love that the author used a stereotypically "in-feminine" hobby like fly fishing to bring the characters together. As a woman who's made friendships through unconventional ways, I look forward to reading this book. Thank you for the great review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Despite the problems, you still have me wondering why the woman was naked and alonein the river. Characters can make all the difference, and these sound great. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

This is a book of fly fishing and its caracteristics, as well as consequences, where we also learn a bit about friendship of women. It deals actually with difficulties of life, mainly in life of women, and also the ''unpredictable''. We learn how women can finally take advantage of fly fishing and develop friendship between them, as well as what they learn from all this procedure. It's doubtless an interesting book, and unusual of course, with discription of ''extreme'', and its role in life, and how we can finally cope with problems, and get stronnger out of adventure, that such stories create when they happen. The book also helps us, mainly women, to discover more themselves, and through real frienship, learn more things about life, that can be later good lessons for others to do the same, focusing on personality of women..
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I think I'd enjoy this book. It might help me see things from a different ANGLE :)
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 08:00 I think I'd enjoy this book. It might help me see things from a different ANGLE :)
I see what you did there :D
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Glad for your point about dialogue. It's important that what the characters are saying seems natural and believable, often more important than the plot's believability, for example. That in itself can be enough to put me off a novel. Interesting review!
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review. I personally love fishing, but I'm not good at fly fishing. Maybe I'll get some pointers from this book. If not it sounds like a fun read so I'm definitely going to check it out.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Naked and alone in a river? Interesting! I really wonder what had happened. The review is good, the story seem interesting. Looking forward for the book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Emmanuel Kores

Post by Emmanuel Kores »

Fly Fishing is way basic in this book but it is so clear that we all have potential abilities. Being man or woman doesn't define that. The book fully helps us in bending and viewing our lives in different angles!
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

I know nothing about fly fishing and actually I am very poor at making friends. I rarely trust people. But still the book sounds intriguing. I'm looking forward to reading it

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”