Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by BookishCreature »

Great review! This book looks really interesting. I agree that stiff dialogue can be really distracting, but it looks like that might have been cleaned up in the current edition. :)
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

I like that the book is told through alternating points of view so we can dig into each perspective. I think it can somehow help us to discover more about ourself and learn more things about life,
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like a great book, overall. I love the themes of friendship and helping others. I will probably pass, but only because I really hate fishing :D
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Joe201
Currently Reading: Christmas with Snowman Paul
Bookshelf Size: 164

Post by Joe201 »

A great and interesting story about Five different women with five different historical background. Four have been friends for a long time, one is new to the group. But they all come together and support each other through good times, and tragedies. I'm not a fisherperson, but enjoyed the descriptions of fly fishing and the joy it brought them.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I like this book especially since it has been updated due to this review. I like books about a friendship among girls and the lasting bonds that they share. This book reminds me of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. I do like that the book revolves around fly fishing and being outdoors. I agree with the critiques of using the full word instead of contractions.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

As someone who has no interest, whatsoever, in fly fishing, I picked up the sample available on Amazon skeptically to say the least. At first, I began reading thinking this is going to be a lot of technical information and there is no way this is a book I would actually read. But then, the characters began to suck me into their world. I began to understand the research that goes into determining which flies to use when and the effort it takes to use trial and error to find success. I realized that not only was this a book I could read, but it was also a book Incould enjoy when the relationships between the women began to emerge. The cabin mentioned as a retreat sounds like something any woman would want. A place for fellowship and safety. A place to grow and to live out a hobby with like-minded friends.
Joe201
Currently Reading: Christmas with Snowman Paul
Bookshelf Size: 164

Post by Joe201 »

A great and interesting story about five different women with five different historical background. Four have been friends for a long time, one is new to the group. But they all come together and support each other through good times, and tragedies. I'm not a fisherperson, but enjoyed the descriptions of fly fishing and the joy it brought them.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Finding a naked woman in the river sounds like an interesting start to a story. I think that could totally hook me and reel me in. It'd be great to read a book with strong female characters following an atypical female pursuit also.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia&rsquo;s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Juanita700 »

Fly fishing for woman seems like a strange thing to do , but I get the picture. Friendship between different woman while being in nature seems awesome. Yet I think I will pass. I am not into hunting of any kind.
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

This is a book I'll like to read. I like the fact that the relationship among the four women is not forced, though typo errors can knock me off an interesting read. However, it is interesting to hear that the book has been updated and improved upon based on observations made in the review. Thanks for this honest review.
oscar victory
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-victory.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by oscar victory »

I just read the sample and was pleasantly surprised! I wasn’t sure when I got started that I would be interested, but the authors ability to bring her characters to life kept me interested. I’m looking forward to reading this and discussing it in the book club forum this month.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

I have never pictured a group of female friends enjoying fly fishing. This sounds like a lovely feel good story about friends bonding. I would enjoy reading the book.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Reidsrd Rd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Reidsrd Rd »

From the review and the sample I read, it makes me want to read this book even though it isn't a book I would normally pick up. I knew nothing about fly fishing prior to reading the sample of the book and it is informative along with a story.
ImanK
Favorite Book: The Hate U Give
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by ImanK »

"The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings is a story about the passionate love for fly fishers. That is important to note when reading this novel. Much of the topic and message of the story is about the hobby of fly fishers. So if you do not have an interest in this hobby, this book might not be for you.
However, there is still an interesting way this passion is presented by the author. You see, the story is not solely about the beauty of fly fishing, but a story about a beautiful friendship between to women, who share the interest in fly fishing.
The book is written with true passion and goes into great detail, but it doesn't follow a traditional storyline. And there is not a lot of action going on, as well as the dialogues being a bit monotone, it makes it all sound a bit "robotic" and lacks a bit of soul. All in all an interesting book, but does certainly not suit everyone.

- ImanK
DivineB_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DivineB_ »

I have to say, the way this was summarized definitely changed my perpective on reading this book. I had previously read the description stating fly-fishing and quickly dismissed it. I am honestly, surprisingly interested in reading this novel now. I, too, am curious as to why the woman was found naked. I'm excited to find out.
:techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”