Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by CrescentMoon »

I like the premise of women bonding over such a fun hobby. I do agree that dialogue that seems unnatural in real life really does take away from the story which it seems this book does, unfortunately. Great and thorough review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

When I first saw the book, I was skeptical about the fly fishing component. However, it seems to be a book more about the friendships among the women than about the sport itself. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Rosaicr14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rosaicr14 »

I have no idea what fly fishing is and I'm not particulary eager to find out, but I do love books/films about friendship, so it sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I agree that "you are welcome" doesn't sound natural though, even when english isn't my first language and those things normally go over my head.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I truly admire and appreciated your candor. I concur with you when you talked about the lack of natural flow of conversation based on the examples you mentioned. It does take some effort to get past those.Nonetheless, although I have no knowledge or interest in the sport of fly fishing I was a bit intrigued by the plot and how the author weaved an interesting sisterhood story around the sport. For that reason I think I might try this one. I just might learn a thing or two.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A book with the themes of love, friendship, motherhood, and empowerment. Interesting. Thanks for the review.
cmoffat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmoffat.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by cmoffat »

I can always look past dialogue issues if I like the characters. Your review makes me think I'd enjoy this book, even if though I don't know anything about fly fishing.
jennibabe31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennibabe31.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jennibabe31 »

Women bonding over fly fishing? A sisterhood? This isn't something that sounds interesting to me. But I'm not really into the mushy female sisterhood thing. The author of this review also states the flow of dialogue makes the book hard to imagine. This would really irritate me trying to read. Definitely a book for someone besides me.
jennibabe31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennibabe31.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jennibabe31 »

Women bonding over fly fishing? A sisterhood? This isn't something that sounds interesting to me. But I'm not really into the mushy female sisterhood thing. The author of this review also states the flow of dialogue makes the book hard to imagine. This would really irritate me trying to read. Definitely a book for someone besides me.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I knew nothing about fly fishing but I was amazed at how much I learned about this from the book. I agree with your thoughts about the dialogue. Great review.
Dorano1
Currently Reading: The Thinning
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dorano1 »

Read the free sample, have to agree with the review.

In fairness to the book, it's not something I'd usually read - I tend toward fantasy and sci-fi. I have to agree with your point about the dialogue, but I'd apply it to the prose itself - it seemed stiff and hard to parse. It reminded me a little of my chemistry textbook, actually, which is never a good thing. Definitely not a book for me, but I'd believe it if someone told me they liked it.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I like books that teach me something new (fly fishing) while portraying relationships in a humanizing manner. They tend to be very memorable stories. Obviously the author is into her fly fishing! LOL
JandNL
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by JandNL »

I was only able to read the sample, and I don’t know much about fishing of any type, but I greatly enjoyed the story. The different viewpoints give a good understanding of each character, and their interactions are described so vividly I felt like a fly on the wall! The problems mentioned in the review seem to be eliminated.
Jeangray17
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Jeangray17 »

The reel sisters is a book about fishing and friendship. I know nothing about fishing but I understand the best way to catch a fish is selecting a fly that be similar to the insects that the fish are eating at the moment. Interesting to find people who share the same hobby, no matter the age, position, etc.
sztjane
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sztjane.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by sztjane »

Thank you for a great review ashley_claire on The Reel Sisters. The book reminds me of a tv documentary on women who survived breast cancer. They are taught fly fishing, they develop friendships and share their stories of their journey since their diagnosis. It was very moving and any one could learn from their stories and this story. We all couleur user an adventure to become stronger people. Thanks you Michelle.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Sounds like a wonderful book of friendship and fishing. I want to know if the woman gets the help she needs or does she keep her secrets. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”