Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rica Belle
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Rica Belle »

I never heard about fly fishing before thus reading this book was a challenge for me, and that's the best thing about it! If you want to read something to trigger your thoughts into something new, then I fully recommend this book. The character development of the characters is highly appreciated, not the typical one. This is a must-read!
crashdnt
Currently Reading: The Cuban Affair
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashdnt.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by crashdnt »

Thank you for review of the Reel Sisters. I initially wasn't interested in the book because it was about fishing. However, I was intrigued when you mentioned the woman flailing down the river and screaming for help. I read a few sample pages of the book and actually found the story engaging so I will probably read it after all.
Mark258
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mark258 »

So this is about fly fishing. cool
Haven't done it for years
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Books about sisterhood have long been a favorite of mine, whether sisterhood through blood or friendship. Little Women, Practical Magic, Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Fried Green Tomatoes...these all come to mind when I read about books like this. I'm definitely intrigued and I'm glad that improvements were made to the book since your review. It's great when authors listen to readers. Thanks for your great review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
hlspoet
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hlspoet »

This review begins compellingly and succinctly describes the overall tone and themes of the book. Despite not normally being interested in this genre of literature, I was drawn into the plot when the reviewer mentioned the naked stranger. The typos and stiff dialogue as explained in the review, combined with a subject that I have little interest in act to deter me from reading this book.
reesa_samoa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reesa-samoa.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by reesa_samoa »

I agree with the review, I love how the author used different vantage points so that each character talks about their experiences about meeting each other. I too was amused reading their interactions. Because their friendship was easily relatable, I probably wouldn't have noticed that contractions weren't used. My first exposure to fly fishing was when I watched Catch & Release with Jennifer Garner. As I read the sample of the Reel Sisters, I could actually see the characters out in the river fly-fishing. I also agree with the review, the sample that I read could have easily been bogged down on the how-to's of fly fishing but the balance with the characters and their individual lives, including the mysterious 5th female of the book, along with tid-bits of fly fishing really had me engulfed in reading that I was disappointed that the sample was so short.....lol :lol2: .
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I have no idea what fly fishing is! But this novel has interested me with the naked, hypothermic lady coming out of nowhere! I'd like to know more about that mystery. Look forward to reading it.
Truelence

Post by Truelence »

This book has the rarest information an African based women should access. I believe it would have been a super one if the author had correlate the feminine friendship more respectful to a New-dork male figure. I love this write-up. No doubt it's one of the few materials I've laid hold on that can make women ideas comparable to an eagle called to scale unusual height.
It's a good job done to the author.
Having thoughts of recomending the book already. Thanks, Nigeria.
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

Nice review. I'm not so good at making female friends, we tend to complicate things for each other. It would be great to read how the author played it out with these women
Miss Understood
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Miss Understood »

melissy370 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 14:45 I think I have an idea where the naked woman comes in by reading the sample. The storyline seems predictable. I hope there is more action in the rest of the book because the beginning was slow.
I agree with you. Although i related to the topic the sample was hard to really get in too.
jsheckes26

Post by jsheckes26 »

:D I absolutely love it. I love the friendship of the girls and just all around the while story is very meaningful to me

:techie-studyingbrown:
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I've never heard of fly fishing before. Now I'm curious. Thank you for your detailed and informative review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lay668
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 126

Post by Lay668 »

Fly fishing is new to me. Interesting. Great book that cover empowerment and personality development and impacting lives and targeting at solving problems. I think i can learn many lessons from this book. Thank you very much for the great useful review. You are awesome. Greatly appreciated.
prono Bett

Post by prono Bett »

it's lovely and it arouse my inner first to read the whole novel..
nix86
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nix86.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by nix86 »

When I read the title and saw the cover of the book I was immediately put off, but simply because of personal preferences. I have to be honest and say that I don't think that I will enjoy the story, only because I have not been in the mood for inspirational stories that are fictional. I am also not interested enough in fly fishing to want to read a story that centers or is linked to the sport. I know you say that the fly fishing was presented in a way that you weren't overwhelmed by it but I'm still not convinced that the combination of the sport and fictional inspirational story is something that interests me at the moment. However, I would like to be open-minded and I might give it a try in future, and this is thanks to your fair and clear review of the book. And thanks to your own apparent open-mindedness about the content. Good review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”