Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zainodin Saripada
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zainodin Saripada »

Yeah, clearly that we all have potential abilities, men or women anf the book can help us by going back to remember our past lives & the incoming days of our remaining lives. Readers must notice it.
Megisa
Currently Reading: How to Shop For Free
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megisa.html
Latest Review: Thriving in the Storm by Bill Murphy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Megisa »

It was a good read. Might enjoy more books by her
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

ashley_claire wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 12:18 Special Note: This is a review of an old edition of the book. The book has since been updated and improved since the review based on some of the points in the review.]

[Following is the original OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine not only having a hobby that you love, but sharing that hobby with several of your closest friends. Weekend getaways and shenanigans among friends are bound to ensue. These lighthearted moments are expertly weaved among lessons of companionship and bonds that can never be broken in The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings.

Four women have been brought together over the years through a unique love of fly fishing. While fishing during one of one of their cabin weekends, a woman comes flailing down the river and screaming for help. They manage to pull her out of the water only to realize that she is naked and nearly hypothermic. What starts out as a very awkward situation quickly turns to understanding as the friends learn more about how the woman came to be naked and alone in the river. The group shows her the ropes of fly fishing in the hopes that she'll develop her own love of the sport. But can she open up to these total strangers enough to be welcomed into their sisterhood?

My favorite thing about this book is easily the characters. The book is told through alternating points of view, which allowed me to really dig in to each perspective. Cummings was able to create believable friendships among this group of women who seemingly have nothing in common. Their bond never felt forced and their interaction with each other was amusing to read.

Though it would have been easy to get bogged down in all the fly fishing talk in this book, the author does a wonderful job of balancing the information so it never felt like too much was being thrown at me. As a result, I became genuinely interested in several facets of the the sport and was eager to learn more about their experiences.

One problem I did have with the book was the writing felt stiff at times, particularly the dialogue. There were many instances in the dialogue where contractions weren't used and it interrupted my reading flow because the words didn't feel natural. A couple of examples are when the characters said "it is my favorite" and "you are welcome". I honestly sat there for several minutes trying to remember the last time I heard someone say "you are welcome" instead of "you're welcome" and I couldn't come up with anything. It seems like such a small gripe but it really is the difference between imagining these things being said by real people versus their voices sounding robotic.

Obviously the main theme throughout this book is friendship. Some other themes touched on in the novel include love, motherhood, and empowerment. I love that the book takes on a sport not typically done by many women. I can easily see how this book can help give women the confidence to go outside of their comfort zones and try things they normally wouldn't have the courage to do.

Due to the problems with the writing that I mentioned and the many typos that are present throughout the book, I have to bump it down to 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys women's literature and books about friendship. It would also make a good read for a book club as it has many aspects to dive into and also comes with a set of discussion questions at the end of the book.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
I enjoyed reading your review. The book does sound interesting. For people who enjoy literature on friendship,this would be fun for them.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

Wow. These women bonding together and being that it even has something to do with fly-fishing. This is interesting. The characterssure bond together as women.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A tale revolving around the shared hobby of four women sounds like a fresh concept. I don't recall reading a book about fly-fishing. The naked woman adds a touch of suspense to what could be a dry tale. It is great that the author balanced the info well. Too bad about the unnatural dialogues, though. I am glad you enjoyed the tale. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

This sounds like a great book about women and friendships between them. Encouraging another woman to start enjoying the thing that binds them while helping her sounds interesting. Cant wait to read this adding this to my TBR list. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Kenko Betty »

I have absolutely no idea what fly fishing is. It's my first time ever hearing about it. I would really like to know more about it and also why the woman was naked. Thanks for your beautiful review.
embalmergirl2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by embalmergirl2008 »

After reading through the excerpt of The Reel Sisters, I now understand a wee more about fly fishing and still have no interest in it. But, the amount that I read did seem interesting as to how our main character came upon each of the other women and became friends. Sophie talks on her age and childhood memories about her most loved hobby and how she became friends with other women by chance and brought them into fishing as well as how her first love broke her heart.

Although the underlying loneliness I get from this small amount of reading seems to be a side note, I think later she may just get the chance to be happy with someone. Sophie does seem to get happiness through her hobby and friends at the cabin, but she seems like she needs a bit more out of life. The small amount of interactions in this portion available seemed to be a bit forced in writing style. I'm not certain if this is due to the author not having enough by way of backstory in her mind while writing these conversations, or if it is simply the take of this reader.

All in all, I feel that it may be a good read for someone who can look past the fishing information to get to the meat of the story but it is not for me. The focus being on a sport that I have no interest in makes it a bit daunting for me to get past and actually enjoy the interactions of the characters.
Boyko Ovcharov
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Boyko Ovcharov
Favorite Book: The Proximity of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1419
fav_author_id: 33385

Post by Boyko Ovcharov »

Really helpful review, even from an author's viewpoint. The issues with naturalness of language and dialogue come in quite handy:-)
Otherwise, the read sounds deep and psychological with some adventure activities against the backdrop of hidden drama, suppressed emotions and personal matters. The topic of friendship in a ladies' circle also seems a complicated one, which speaks of the writer's talent and courage to experiment.
OPgirl9122
Currently Reading: Growing Up Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by OPgirl9122 »

the review was quite concise and crisp. It gave me a great amount of idea to what I could expect from the book.
*BRR {by the time. Verily, man is at lose. Except for those who do good deeds and advice one another to truth and patience}-HQ
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like that the story centers around a diverse group of women who share a strong friendship. I think it is a great choice for February. This one is already downloaded in my tablet. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
mohammedaslam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mohammedaslam »

An unbiased review about a book on love and sisterhood. The review is comprehensive enough and gives a fair idea about the story and the characters, making it easy for readers to decide whether to read or skip the book.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

I couldn't get into the sample, but it wasn't because of the dialogue. The beginning didn't move fast enough for me, I guess. I often say, "You are welcome."
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

Thank you for your review, fly fishing has long been used as a synonym for life and how to live it. This book seems to do a good job of it. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

The Reel Sisters should be a nice book for the women, as a respite from the girlie chores they always do. I can just imagine the enactment of the rescue the sisters made on the naked woman. As the woman floats along carried by the current of the river, the sisters must have cast their line, hook, and sinker into the grasp of the woman. The three of them pulling the woman towards the bank or the boat would likely be possible as the combined tensile strength of the lines will warrant it. One caveat I should remember, though, if I have to read the book: I should opt for the latest version in the hope that all issues about editing and unnatural dialogue format had been resolved beforehand. Thanks for your informative review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”