Official Review: The Surgeon’s Wife

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Surgeon’s Wife

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Surgeon’s Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon’s Wife by William H. Coles is a dramatic tale of two surgeons caught up in a maelstrom of friendship, deceit and grave mistakes.

The 200-page novel features Mike Boudreaux, the chief of surgery at a hospital in New Orleans. When his mentor and professor, renowned surgeon Clayton Otherson, makes a mistake at the operating table, Mike has to take over for him to avoid the death of the patient. When it turns out that this is not Clayton’s first serious error during obesity surgery, other doctors want Mike to stop Clayton from operating any further.

However, things are not as easy as they seem. Mike rose to his position due to Clayton’s monetary and influential support over the years. Clayton is one of the most powerful surgeons in the country, and he alone has brought more paying customers to the hospital than other doctors put together. And let’s face it; Mike and Clayton are dear friends. But Mike is also an honest person who has to put the patients’ welfare above all else, even if it means destroying Clayton and their friendship while doing so. When Clayton does lose a patient during a next surgery, Mike knows that things have gone too far. Clayton must stop operating right away. This pushes Clayton to some very reckless acts and drives a wedge between Clayton and his wife, Catherine, as well.

I picked up this book because I love medical mysteries and thrillers. For a while, I even had flashbacks of reading one of Robin Cook’s older books involving malpractice, the death of patients, and a deadly mystery surrounding the hospital. Yet, The Surgeon’s Wife is more a dark drama involving a decaying friendship and a romantic triangle, with some well-fleshed out characters that we learn to care about quite early in the book. Mike is an honest guy who wants to do right by everybody. But he can’t make everyone happy; someone’s got to lose. Catherine is a complex character who is enjoying the upper lifestyle her husband's wealth and status offer her. Still, Catherine is not merely a spoiled trophy wife; she has a mind of her own and her own accomplishments as well. Those, however, are buried under a veil of sexism by her husband’s peers. Even though she has done much for the establishment, Catherine will always remain the “Surgeon’s Wife” for everyone else.

The story flows smoothly and, even though the book is quite short, the author has created some really engaging characters. It seems that William H. Coles has a knack for writing strongly developed characters that drive the plot forward.

Also, the storyline touches on some serious moral and ethical issues at workplace surrounding doctors and hospitals. The book resonated with me at a deeper level. My own mother, at the age of 45, had two serious surgeries that destroyed her health entirely, and later on, it turned out that those surgeries were superfluous because her problem was somewhere else. She never fully recovered, but whom to sue after all that time?

My only slight gripe with the book involves the romance that became a love triangle. Without spoiling too much, it developed too suddenly in the second part of the story after the first half not even hinting that there was an attraction between the two characters. It just felt a bit too rushed. Nevertheless, this didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book at all.

The writing style is top notch. I haven’t found any major grammatical errors in the book, which means that it is professionally edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and can warmly recommend it to anyone who loves novels with good character-driven plots that manage to invoke many strong emotions and feelings in the reader.

The Surgeon’s Wife
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 0795588548 »

:o an interesting book to read
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Wow, I never thought that you could pack so much intrigue in just 200 pages! This must have been quite the ride. I'm intrigued. I like character-driven stories, especially stories that touch upon the moral aspects of the profession. Like all professionals, doctors are always confronted by ethical issues. The scary thing about them is that the price of their indiscretions is, for me, the most precious commodity of all--a human life. A very comprehensive and moving review, kislany!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another great review! The overall theme of ethical issues regarding doctors who make mistakes is very interesting. Sorry to hear about your mother's serious after-effects from surgeries that proved unnecessary. I enjoyed reading another book by this author and character-driven plots seem to be his forte.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Even though I haven't read any of his books in full (all samples and reviews so far, as many have become BOTD), I have come to expect the best from William Coles. His own experiences as a surgeon would have come in handy in writing this piece.

I'm happy to see you reviewing a "real" story, Kislany! But people can also be as threatening as dragons, sometimes. Doctors, for one, can kill without meaning to. And when they do, what recourse do we have?
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Thanks a lot for yet another great review- comprehensive, interesting and well written. A story full of emotion and love makes an intriguing read always. A great story about ethics in the health sector makes the story alive and at the same time sad but the emotion attached to the story makes it superb. I am very sorry about your mother- the mistakes of a doctor always leave us with an everlasting scar in our hearts.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Another awesome review! This is exactly the kind of book that I would like to read. The characters are engaging and the fact that it is well edited is a plus for me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kingsway
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsway.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kingsway »

Wonderful reviews. Sounds like onother book I would spend my time head-burried in till the end.
Kellon
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kellon »

Wonder book this shows that you can come back from anything if you put your mind to it
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Now I'm intrigued as to what was causing Clayton to begin to make mistakes on the operating table! Sounds like an interesting book despite the hastily arranged love triangle...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read this one and enjoyed it myself. Sounds like you had about the same opinion as me. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Plot seems very interesting to me.would like to read this one !!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think this might be the only one of Coles' books that I haven't reviewed. I did read it though and really enjoyed it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Awesome review! Well done. You have piqued my interest enough to make me want to read this book! I am downloading a copy now
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

After going through this review, do I need to read the book! It is so thoroughly well written it seemed the reviewer wrote the book or co-authored it. Honestly, it's a book worth reading. Thanks for this amazing review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”