Official Review: Participations by Eng. Yasir I. Kashgari

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Participations by Eng. Yasir I. Kashgari

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Participations" by Eng. Yasir I. Kashgari.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Participations by Eng. Yaser Ibrahim Kashgari is a motivational book inspired by the author's own life experiences. Written in beautiful and captivating poetry, it provides a comprehensive guide towards dealing with life's various challenges. For this reason, OBC should have classified it under under drama and poetry instead of other fiction.

Originally written in Arabic, it has been translated into both English and French. The PDF copy I received contained all three publications and because I enjoyed the English version, I wished I was fluent in the other two languages. Because I don't speak Arabic, I'm not sure about the accuracy of the translation. From what I read, I'll give the translator the benefit of doubt and hope that the true essence of the poems were captured.

The whole book (all three version put together) is 268 pages long so for whichever version one chooses to read, this is a quick read. It took me just under an hour to get through the English version. The verses are short and the most obvious writing style is free verse. This does a perfect job at capturing the author's positive thinking. I liked how descriptive and colorful the language is. There is a whole two pages describing the beauty, character and tenacity of women. I must been forgiven for not expecting this from an author of Saudi origin. Other themes tackled in the book are love, friendship, meaningful relationships and hard work. God also plays an important role towards shaping the author's beliefs and I was relieved that no particular religion is mentioned. This book could therefore appeal to anyone despite their religious beliefs.

The nuggets of wisdom sewn in between the lines are powerful and practical. There were more than a few verses that I could personally relate to. Throughout the poems, I encountered a few awkwardly worded sentences and the wrong word used. For instance, The word "person" is repeatedly used and in most cases, it didn't fit. The word "one" would have been a better fit in those cases. This is common with translated works but the message didn't fail to hit home. There were also grammatical errors throughout the book. These could easily be reconciled with a round of editing.

Participations is a book I would recommend to lovers of poetry, anyone who seeks inspiration and anyone who's fluent in either Arabic, English or French, not forgetting multilingual people who speak any combination of these languages. I therefore rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and I look forward to reading the second book in this series.

Participations
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Translations can be hard to get right, especially with poetry, but this sounds like it does a reasonable job. I really resonate with your wish to be able to read it in the original Arabic.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

How nice that the book has all three versions!

But nothing beats the original. I am sure something was lost in the translation. Languages have nuances that are difficult, if not impossible, to translate. But if 90% of the essence is retained, that's good enough; at least we get to enjoy writings that would otherwise have been inaccessible.

Cheers to translators! I'm sure their job is not as easy as ABC.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Kat Berg wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 01:39 Translations can be hard to get right, especially with poetry, but this sounds like it does a reasonable job. I really resonate with your wish to be able to read it in the original Arabic.
Thank you. Since I never get to read any literature from that part of the world, I'm glad I stumbled upon this one.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 03:48 How nice that the book has all three versions!

But nothing beats the original. I am sure something was lost in the translation. Languages have nuances that are difficult, if not impossible, to translate. But if 90% of the essence is retained, that's good enough; at least we get to enjoy writings that would otherwise have been inaccessible.

Cheers to translators! I'm sure their job is not as easy as ABC.
I completely agree with you. In some cases, I couldn't quite get what the message no matter how hard I tried.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can imagine that it would be difficult to translate poetry from one language to the other. It often loses something in the translation. I'm glad that this one didn't really seem to. However, poetry really isn't my thing. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 08:20 I can imagine that it would be difficult to translate poetry from one language to the other. It often loses something in the translation. I'm glad that this one didn't really seem to. However, poetry really isn't my thing. Thanks for the review, though!
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”