Official Review: A Thousand Points of Light

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: A Thousand Points of Light

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Thousand Points of Light" by Marc-Vincent Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Thousand Points of Light by Marc-Vincent Jackson is the author’s debut novel. The story, for the most part, focuses on Fatou Ka, a devout Senegalese young woman, who is struggling to rise above her meager means and gain the love of a folklore hero, imaginary Samba n’Diaye.

Born in a poor Muslim village in Senegal to a father who had several easily forgotten wives, Fatou had no real chance to a better life. When old enough, she went through the customary genital mutilation, and as a consequence, she almost died of an infection.

When she couldn’t take it anymore, before being forced to marry a guy she never cared for, she took her mother and fled the village to Dakar, the capital of Senegal, where she hoped to start a new life. She joined a group of homeless people and became a beggar as well because lacked the money to feed herself, her mother, and her unborn child. Yet she would never give up on her dream to find the great warrior that would come to save her from a life in misery.

We also get introduced to Madior, a griot (bard), who was in love with Fatou and decided that his next story would be about her life, and Malcolm Lavelle King, an African-American volunteer who was sent to Senegal as part of his mission. In Fatou’s dreamy mind, Malcolm becomes Samba n’Diaye, so she desperately tries to win his love.

The first part of the story is told in almost a poetic fashion. At the beginning, using appropriate words, the writer does a good job of taking us to the world of the poor living in Senegal. When Malcolm enters the picture, the writing perks up to a more modern and dynamic style. Malcolm is a disgruntled volunteer who can’t wait to get back home to his cozy and comfortable life. He plays loud music and generally cares little about his peers. Right until Fatou gets close to him and he somehow falls madly in love with her.

Their relationship is strained, however. The author, with his skillful writing, brought together two very different lifestyles heading towards each other in what would become an explosive ending. Malcolm, coming from America, is a free spirit. He never had troubles mixing with and befriending other women. On the other hand, Fatou turned out to be an extremely jealous partner who would slowly drain the life out of Malcolm. Yet, strangely, when she is not around, he can hardly wait to be with her once again.

However, I could never fully warm up to Fatou’s character. All she wanted was Samba’s love. Much to my disappointment, she never showed any interest in taking her daughter away from a life on the streets. Even Malcolm learned about Fatou’s daughter on the very last few pages of the very long book. While I could forgive Fatou for many things, this was definitely not one of them.

As I mentioned above, the book is very long. Amazon has it at 400 pages, however, the writing in the pdf file was so tiny that the book might actually be closer to 700 pages. A lot of the later chapters changed to Malcolm’s numerous political discussions with his friends and peers, in passages that didn’t hold my attention all that much. Along the way, the book’s scope has shifted quite a bit from its original premise. There were entire scenes where Fatou was not even mentioned.

A Thousand Points of Light is an interesting read involving a place in the world that I know little to nothing about. The book title itself refers to the non-profit organization launched by George W. Bush to support volunteerism in Africa, a group which the author himself was part of during Bush’s presidency. Sadly, the text has many grammatical mistakes, including closing quotation marks which have no opening equivalents or vice-versa, or errors like “Ali wonders if he’s made is daughter unmarriageable,” “It’s very power,” or “there are important thing to discuss.”

While the story was a pleasant read, due to these issues I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading tales about African countries or wants to learn more about volunteering in the region. There is romance in the book; however, there are no adult scenes at all, so it can be read by anyone who wants their books rather “safe.”

A Thousand Points of Light
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

As an African, I would like to travel more around the continent. This book would definitely come in handy. From your description, it paints a vivid picture about life in Senegal.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

I am pretty sure that you will enjoy reading this book!
Divine Machator
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Divine Machator »

Am sure you enjoy reading this book.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The premise sounds great, but I don't think I'd wade through 700 pages of an unedited book. Thanks for the information.
Pauline 25
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Pauline 25 »

:D the story lines seems very interesting I know it is going to be wonderful reading it
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Wow, this sounds like quite the glimpse into another world. I wonder how true to life it is for someone living in that part of the world. Thank you for your review and thank you for the warnings about the bad grammar.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It sounds a little too long and complicated for me. I don't think I'll be trying it right now. I still appreciated your review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if there are some interesting themes in this book, such as that of a poor woman trying to better her lot, African culture, and the difficulties volunteers may face. It sounds as if some development of the characters and resolution of conflict is lacking, however. It's a debut of course - maybe the writer will improve on these aspects in subsequent works.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Kuolettava
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuolettava.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kuolettava »

When it comes to the parts of the story where the main character isn’t even mentioned, would you say that any of those sections of the story build to the overall worth of the novel?
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Kuolettava wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 12:41 When it comes to the parts of the story where the main character isn’t even mentioned, would you say that any of those sections of the story build to the overall worth of the novel?
Yes, definitely, especially once I realized that the scope of the story is much bigger than just the initial focus on Fatou's life. It expands quite a lot.
Kuolettava

Post by Kuolettava »

Do you feel as though the pacing between Fatou’s life and the wider expanse of the story was done well or is it more on the slow side?
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

It was done pretty well.
Kuolettava

Post by Kuolettava »

Awesome! I'm going to put this book on my list of "to read" novels. Thanks so much for answering my questions!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”