Official Review: Rukhsat The Departure by Sujit Banerjee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Official Review: Rukhsat The Departure by Sujit Banerjee

Post by Lest92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rukhsat The Departure" by Sujit Banerjee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rukhsat The Departure by Sujit Banerjee is an anthology of twenty-six contemporary short stories inspired by an alphabetical prompt. Each story takes its cue from a name from A through Z, each exploring a distinct theme or mirroring a previous story with a new character.

Banerjee’s short stories cut to the quick; their visceral impact remained with me after I had finished the book. The author doesn’t skim over a theme or emotion but delves deeply into human motivation, loss, loneliness, and hardship. The resulting stories are often dark and painful to read, but the messages they communicate have a bare-bones truth about them that the brief and powerful medium of the short story conveys brilliantly. The writer focuses mainly on the themes of loss, change, aging, madness, death and love’s regression to indifference in long marriages. I thought of some of the stories as diptychs since they worked in pairs to tell a story; examples of this would be Eklavyya – My Real Name is not Gustav and Gustav – Fifty-Eight Years. By mirroring stories, Banerjee dealt with pluralistic truths in his anthology. My favourite story, the one that embodies what Banerjee set out to achieve with this anthology, is Abhimanyu – The Beginning. It is the first story in the anthology and sets the tone for the rest of the book. In Abhimanyu, the author’s expressive writing, and his consciousness of time and mortality present an uncanny story, which reads like an observance of human beings through the ages and timeless gestating months with an accelerated view of human nature of one who is about to become part of our society unwillingly.

What I found most impressive about Rukhsat The Departure was the author’s creative response to the alphabet prompt. He managed to grow with the challenge and delivered twenty-six stories each dealing with a definite theme. Banerjee’s writing is both spare and lyrical; this quality establishes a unique reflective mood. He also evokes the fleeting nature of a human lifetime by including a character’s youth, middle age and declining years in just a few pages.

Rukhsat has numerous errors that I found difficult to ignore, especially toward the end of the book, which wasn’t thoroughly edited. The editing of this anthology was not the best; no book is perfect, but Rukhsat needs serious work to help it shine. What bothered me most were awkward sentences, odd turns of phrase, spelling mistakes and incorrectly used prepositions. If readers decide not to pay attention to the mistakes, they’ll find a book with much to offer them.

Taking the editing problems into account, I’ll rate Rukhsat The Departure 3 out of 4 stars and I can recommend it to readers who enjoy short stories, anthologies and stories about the murkier side of the human condition.

Rukhsat The Departure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lest92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book sounds appealing, but poor editing drives me bananas and it is very difficult for me to enjoy a book that hasn't gone through a thorough editing process. Maybe if the author ever decides to edit, but until then, this is a no-go. I am glad you were able to enjoy it in spite of editing issues.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The poor editing just demoted a really promising piece of work. The content does appeal to me and I hope a round of editing is in progress.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Your review made these short stories sound really interesting. It is a pity the editing is not what it should be.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors, but this sounds like it's full of emotion and impact. Thanks so much for sharing this one with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Editing, editing, editing! It drives me nuts when people don't do that!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

STORY LINE IS EVIDENTLY ECCENTRIC HOWEVER THE NUMEROUS ERRORS CAN DETRACT THE QUALITY CONCEPT OF THE BOOK... Awesome review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”