Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Scerakor »

I love a book that has done such an excellent job in character development, that you root for them despite all their flaws. Sword-swallowing for a circus must be an amazing adventure, and I can definitely see how he can have something to pass along to Gary considering their shared flaws.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I totally agree this book is very entertaining. I was hooked from the first chapter. I have just finished the first part of the book about Duke's life in the circus and his stunt devil acts. He is a man with demons but is also very likable and I agree the reader roots for his success. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book and learning what fate has in store for Duke and the Chico kid!
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

It’s surprising when a book you wouldn’t initially choose, engages you and you find yourself enjoying it! Set in times past, it is good to hear from your review that the individual stories of the two characters are explored and then come together in the final part of the book. Reading the sample launched me into simultaneuos worlds: the life of a street/circus performer, the life of a bygone era, the life of an alcoholic and the life of someone doing what they can to live.
Thanks for your review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I'm curious about the third part on how much they impact each other. Thanks for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the book. It sounds like an interesting read. I usually enjoy books more that focus on character development, so I may have to try this one out. Thanks for the review!
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

In the 'Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid', by Gary Robinson, the reviewer does a fair job to the readers,by well-describing the book.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

I really enjoyed this story - in fact, I passed it on to my high schooler and encouraged her to read it. Her favorite book is The Outsiders, and that's what The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid reminded me of: a combination of The Outsider with The Elegance of the Hedgehog. It's philosophical, an intense read that draws you in and really makes you think about society, the hierarchy, and what happens to those who feel stuck. ARE we stuck? Can we change? How do we deal with the pressure? As many have said, this isn't an action novel, but there was just enough going on for me to both think intensely while I was reading, and also not get too lost in my head. I highly recommend!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I've always wondered how these brave artists can swallow swords and breathe fire. It would be interesting to get the inside story. The sample ended with Duke starting his training by controlling his gagging reflex. I could feel my throat itch.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad that you liked the book. Congrats to the author on the 4/4 review. Thanks for the review.
pilvi
Currently Reading: Hyv&auml;&auml; ja halpaa
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilvi.html
Latest Review: The Dying Teach Us How to Live by Patricia M. Acker, Author and Illustrator

Post by pilvi »

I just meant to sample the book a bit... And before I realized I had read the whole book :D Thanks for giving words for the experience.
MantaRay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MantaRay »

Excellent review discussing authors ability to draw empathy and sympathy for somewhat sad characters immersed in alcoholism. This novel sounds interesting enough relative to character development to be worth a read.
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Iamsofia »

Great review. The book is really interesting, I loved it even though it wasn't my best kind of book.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

You first think it will be a crazy exotic book based on the title, but really it's a story of people their relationships and their struggles.
Zuribooks
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zuribooks.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Zuribooks »

Interesting... I know I would like this book... I like how you described it and how some awesome things can go out the flaws of the characters... Congrats!
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

I feel a 4 out of 4 rating is inappropriate due to the mistakes in the text mentioned. As far as the book itself I have no desire to read it simply because I’m not ok with reading about a functioning alcoholic.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”