Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alwayz_T25
Currently Reading: The Crimson Heirlooms
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwayz-t25.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Alwayz_T25 »

Thanks for your review!
I liked knowing that there were certain lighthearted and simpleness to events in the book, when I read what it was about I thought it would be an intense read.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

Thanks for an interesting review. A sword swallower is quite an unusual occupation. I'm curious to see how the author develops these characters and how they interact with each other.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

This book is pretty bad. It's filled with grammatical errors and a sub par plot. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Sorry.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Shelley McInroy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Shelley McInroy »

I enjoy a book that develops characters, and allows you to get to know those characters. They become more believable if developed properly, and along the way, I often learn something about myself, or about others because in the process of connecting to characters, I reflect and think about them. What the catch here will be for me is that a sword-swallower might be a bit difficult for me to swallow (excuse the pun) in that I’m not sure how long an alcoholic who is bound to develop the shakes will survive in this daredevil lifestyle. I have not read the book yet so we will see!
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Thank you for writing such an in depth summary. I am thinking of reading this story soon, so it's always good to get an idea of the writing style and topic before getting started.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I don't mind the adult content, and humor is always a plus! Well developed characters are some of my favorite things.

Thank you for the review!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Aaronson0716
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aaronson0716 »

review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]

Its a good story, the drastic change on people eventhough they are so involved on some bad vices.
All the humors and stuffs. Thumbs up for this. :tiphat:
Etorichard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Etorichard »

I cannot imagine his skills! Anyway, thanks for the nice overview of the story. :tiphat:
thespookybookshelf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thespookybookshelf.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi
Reading Device: B07BTS2KWK

Post by thespookybookshelf »

This is a great review of this book. I probably won't be reading this one simply because it doesn't sound like the type of book I would enjoy - I prefer action-packed books myself.
redrose+77
Currently Reading: A Little Lost A Little Found
Bookshelf Size: 90

Post by redrose+77 »

good review...i like the novel and can't wait to get one to read more about this two guys ....mostly their characters , challenges and how they eventually overcome it all.
Cheryl12
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl12.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cheryl12 »

In the "Sword Swallower And A Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson, Duke Reynolds ran away from a dysfunctional home where he was exposed to drugs, smoking, alcohol and Religion at an early age.
He then joined the traveling circus. Most of his time was spent on hustling on the street with his performance and circus acts. But one day his act was disrupted and he decided to take himself away from the spot lights.

Also, Gary Robinson the young boy, had a rough and challenging past throughout high school and college. He struggled with alcohol addiction and party a lot during his college years. Soon he picked up a job at the traveling circus and bumped into Duke.

Moreover, Duke knew about Gary past as they struggled with the same type of drugs and alcohol addictions. Duke being seriously sick tried to help Gary, but the Chico kid hopeless situation is about to head down a destructive path.

Even though this book is a Fiction story, there is a twist on a serious drug and alcoholic problem that we are faced with in society. Though many still struggle to fight this battle, others have been delivered through Rehabilitation Programs.

CMcDermott (Ms.)
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Character-driven stories are difficult. Making the characters be worth following is challenging wothout the right skills and charm. It's good to see this has both.
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Carly-maricque »

Thanks for the review! This book does sound interesting, but it is not a story I would be interested in reading. I have too many thrillers on my list I need to read.
MonicaMcd
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: The Outlander Series
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by MonicaMcd »

The circus has always intrigued me but I always thought the people were eccentric. I like the fact that the characters are all pulled together and despite their flaws we can still root for them. :tiphat:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your review.

I'm not too sure yet about why this piece has been placed under the humour category based on what I've read from the sample so far, although I loved the poignant and touching first part about a grandfather and his grandchild. Like you, I also think that some of its themes may not be suitable for some audiences especially younger ones and those sensitive to topics about vices and addiction, but a story of change and redemption will be inspirational. We humans err, but we deserve another chance at life, especially if we're kin to do better the next time. Whereas the figurative sense of the word circus has a negative connotation that I'm not so fond of, on the other hand, I like it's more obvious and traditional positive essence in providing pure wonder and clean entertainment.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”