Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ilovehem13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Ilovehem13 »

The review I read makes the book sound boring and depressing. All the reviewer touched on was alcohol and alcohol related problems. Hope there is more to the story. Best wishes for the book.
Neelra_23
Currently Reading: Lost in the Reflecting Pool
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Neelra_23 »

This sounds interesting. I would like to know how the author manage to make the readers still like the characters despite their alcohol addiction and vices.
lady-libro
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by lady-libro »

The impact of alcohol and drugs in a person's life is not a topic that can easily entice a reader. However, the sensitive review posted makes me want to read the book. It takes a sympathetic writer to develop empathy in a reader and make the characters not only interesting, but likeable. Knowing the storyline is about falling into slavery to substance abuse, living in it, and then the struggle and heartache to pull oneself upwards makes the book even more attractive to a mature reader, while being a lesson to younger readers. I would definitely choose to read the book based on your review. Thank You.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Interesting review! I do enjoy some action thrillers. And like the circus, but don't think I would enjoy reading "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" watching the cover gives me a chill, that Gary being an alcoholic and performing such an act is a risk of a serious accident swallowing that sword. I think I will pass reading this novel.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the light-hearted relationship between Gary and Duke. There are two people determined to make it in life despite their poor educational background. I think it a lesson on how you can exploit your talent and how alcohol can ruin your life. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Thanks for a good and detailed review. I liked stories that are character focused and deal with tough issues like alcoholism.
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

Duke is a sword swallower. He travels from place to place performing his sword swallowing act's . Sometimes for pay at a bar or the street for change. He's reminiscing about when he was younger and helping an older man with the ponies that's how he started. As an adult there is a mention of drug methamphetamine alcohol used in his life. Later he connects with Gary and forms a friendship. And though problems. The story is in three parts. I read the sample. Thanks for your very good review.
bonnyemmy

Post by bonnyemmy »

Its an interesting novel about two completely different guys but both are determined to succeed in life, who were brought together by faith.
iampallabisarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by iampallabisarkar »

Hey, thanks for the meaningful review of this book. I would like to add this book in my bookshelf 😊
Suzan Fred Abel - 16
Favorite Author: Belle Ami
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 48
fav_author_id: 24819

Post by Suzan Fred Abel - 16 »

Circus side show , sword swallower named Don Leslie. Interesting to read about the sword swallowing and the tattoos of horses, elephants etc. Unbelievable to imagine about the sword swallower. Thanks to Gary Robinson for the read.
:P Keep smiling. Be good and do good to the one's doing good to you. Be helpful ,thoughtful and caring. :D. Books are everyone's best friends at all times. :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray: .
stbrians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stbrians.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by stbrians »

Alcohol addiction can be a spoiler of life. I love it that you loved the character despite his shortcomings. The book is worth a read.
Daniel Wambugu

Post by Daniel Wambugu »

The sword swallower even the title just explain itself how interesting it is.good character and well explainable
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

Interesting! Though not my cup of tea, I think it's worth a shot. I appreciate your enthusiasm about the book and thank you for your review! Congratulations!
Kmdehn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmdehn.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Kmdehn »

This sounds like it might be interesting to read. The different viewpoints coming together, in the end, sounds intriguing.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

This book made it book of the month now its BOTD. Great review but I pass on this one not my type.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”