Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the explanation of the novel; it does seem like an interesting read, as I like stories that explore character depths.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This is interesting to see how the author portrays the skills of sword swallower, describing it from as many scenarios to make it really exciting.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
categoric4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by categoric4 »

:eusa-think:
The SWORD Swallower & a Chico kid - Official Review

Stories like this don't captivate the readers attention as it should, unless the you illustrate on the importance of what or who a SWORD SWALLOWER is, and differentiate what a Chico Kid is.

Then spend quality time my the story line of these characters interesting, then you have a book to read and indulge.

Smooth captivity!!
Mercy idowu
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: The Dancing Bride
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mercy idowu »

The sword swallower and the chico kid is about a student in particular, who is a drug addict or let me say alcohol addict, how he realise that after everything and graduation in school, he did not gain anything, his behaviour lead him to be where is his today. the book is like passing a massage mostly to student who revised to follow the the right part and how their life up or what they end up doing. leaving that king of of life will result to nothing except bring u down from where u ought to be at the right time before it too late.
SoonerKate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerkate.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by SoonerKate »

This isn't the normal type of book that I read but it actually sounds pretty good. I think I'll have to pick it up and read it. Thanks for the review!
Sarahjean
Favorite Book: The Expansion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sarahjean »

The swordswallowing is sounds interesting.try to read this.thanks for the review
courtneymcreative
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: Swan Song
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneymcreative.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by courtneymcreative »

So interesting that this is a work of fiction but one of the main characters is named after the author. :eusa-think: Great review!
Hcurtis
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hcurtis »

I truly agree with you but I did feel some suspense in the story. though not as dramatic as action packed and thrillers, the suspense I felt was more to due with new adventures both Duke and Gary lead through the book. I would actually recommend this book to most ages, the nudity makes it difficult for the younger readers but I would recommend late elementary readers (with parental approval) up.

Though most of the book is based on fictitious events, it is not far off mark as Gary did put some real events in. Even with the fictitious events, I could completely see this actually happening back in the 80's and knew individuals that would run of to be in the circus or a carnival. Even the drugs and alcohol addictions in this book could help individuals in similar situations find hope with a realistic twist that shows that it is not easy to turn ones life around.

The constant thrill seeking (sword swallowing for starters) is something many individuals can relate too.

This was a great book that was hard to put down.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

This novel relates the lives of entertainers, circus performers in this case, who are out for adrenalin high everytime they are on stage, only to slump down to new lows when there is a lull in the shows. The escapist's leeway is to indulge in drugs or alcohol. The Sword Swallower might have some problem contributory to his loneliness during show intervals, but alcoholism got the better of him. That is just life in its realism. How ironic that whosoever gives amusement are in themselves experiencing the glum. Thanks for your review.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:

Post by Roggyrus »

courtneymcreative wrote: 19 May 2018, 10:14 So interesting that this is a work of fiction but one of the main characters is named after the author. :eusa-think: Great review!
That is why this is a real work of an eye-witness, relating his life to the subject at hand. The author is really in sympathy with his buddy, the sword swallower. (You could read his letter hereabouts, thankful for the positive response merited by his novel)
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:

Post by Roggyrus »

SoonerKate wrote: 18 May 2018, 16:55 This isn't the normal type of book that I read but it actually sounds pretty good. I think I'll have to pick it up and read it. Thanks for the review!
At least, you will get transported to the world of celebrities -- or just plain performers, the people with rare talents, great wits, clowns, and freaks.
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

Well placed review. Increasing rate of alcohol and drug abuse is a serious global problem and this book bringing it up is good. The Chico Kid coming into realization that his days in college has been wasted to alcohol and fun is a wake up call to all students.
Kamau Paul
Currently Reading: UBER Taxi Cab Confessions
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Kamau Paul »

"The sword swallower" writer seems to be a very smart person. It's not easy especially having divided the book in two parts and in the third part bringing the two character together. Simply excellent work despite few errors.
Adekunle282
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adekunle282 »

I like her review is simple and straight forward
abidec
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by abidec »

it will be fun reading about a strange character -the sword swallower,but best learning from the character building. thanks for the review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”