Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sherif olabode
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 71

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by sherif olabode »

A lost and troubled soul meets a dying, retired, circus sideshow swallower named Duke Reynolds. Duke attempts to save the young man from Chico, CA by sharing the experiences of his volatile past.
Martha nyambura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-nyambura.html
Latest Review: Searching For Paradise by T.L.Hughes

Post by Martha nyambura »

That sounds like a great read, I like and love reading books that challenge me making me a better person. Thanks for the review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A dying Sword Swallower helps a young man with an alcohol addiction by sharing his past. Interesting premise! The focus on characters development doesn't bother me but the slow pace does. I don't think it is for me due to the lack of action and the many mentions of alcoholism, drugs, and nudity throughout the book. I am glad you enjoyed the book, though. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

A sword swallower meeting a youngster with the same addiction as him sounds interesting. I enjoy a book that makes you think about life. This one delves into alcoholism and it's effects on life. I grabbed my free copy congrats on being BOTD
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I am a fan of character-driven stories so long as the characters are well-developed, and based on your review, the ones here certainly are. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of a modern-day sword swallower. I've never actually seen a sword-swallowing act, so it'll be interesting to read about Duke Reynolds and his life, both while performing and while in jail. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

A nicely written review. The title makes it seem like an action thriller. Thanks for clarifying that. I am tempted to read.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Sounds like an interesting book. Duke and Gary seem to be unique characters sharing the same problem. Seeing that alcoholism is very common i'd love to read a book centered on two recovering people. Thank you for your review.
DisneyDoug2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disneydoug2018.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by DisneyDoug2018 »

The relationship between Duke and Gary is key to this book. I self published a book myself, so I’m always willing to cut self published authors some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt. It’s an good story, but certainly not worthy of a rating of 4 of 4 starts
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A story about a dying, retired circus sword swallower trying to save a troubled young man by sharing his life experiences sounds like an interesting story. I love how you mentioned this is a very character-driven story, and that even though Gary was always drinking, you found yourself still rooting for him. However, I do enjoy some action in my stories, and the fact that there is much talk about alcoholism, drugs, and nudity turns me off. Too bad about the errors you found, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the book regardless! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
mau4real
Currently Reading: Going Gone
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by mau4real »

Such an interesting review thanks for the good job, Gary's life of drunkenness really affected his studies in the college making him not to achieve his dreams.this book is not meant for thriller lovers anyway but it's quite interesting
Lay668
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 126

Post by Lay668 »

Sound interesting. Think is a great read. This book cover development growth in their characters. You are amazingly awesome. Thank you very much for such detailed review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Amazing piece of literary fiction with incredibly developed characters and a sharp plot that prevents you from putting down the book. I loved the onlinebook.org review and preferred it to the amazon.com one.
Natalia Kavale
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-kavale.html
Latest Review: The Prism Effect by J. Wint

Post by Natalia Kavale »

This sounds like a very good read. I just sampled two of its chapters a moment ago and so far I'm loving it. I love the fact that although the characters and the account of events are fictional, they can still be related to real life. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and I'm looking forward to finishing it myself. Thank you for the review.
judyjoy92
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by judyjoy92 »

Superhuman characters are fascinating.Sword swallowing and breathing out fire?Am already falling in love with the story.I'll get this in my shelves.Thanks for the amazing review
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

Interesting, but i wouldn't want to read it right, now i'm in a different place. Sounds as though it's well written.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”