Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Good review. This is a story of two people from two different types of life, but both having an addiction they struggle with, alcohol. Since this is not an action or romance, developing characters are crucial, and it sounds like the author did a great job at that. Congratulations on BOTD.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

This was such a beautifully written book, in fact one of the most emotional novels I've ever read in my life. The main characters were obviously flawed and sometimes frustrating, but they were engaging and humane. Their character arcs were inspiring and heart-warming.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is a nice and interesting book, pleasant to read!! The author actually speaks of personalities, that can be met in society, since there is a whole range of characters and varietyof people and types of persons we can always easily meet in life.-It's true that we are all different from eahc other, and difference between members of society makes one unique, by being different from others. And here is essence of man and human beings. It's true almost all people are like all others in terms of feelings and structure of personality, mind as well; some people are similar ot others, and finally noone is the same with others.
Author wants to demonstrate, that even among people that aren't considered important in personality like many others, everyone has still some to offer, and be discussed. Here we have the issue, whether we are born with a specific DNA that defines us as well as our options, but author's challenge is whether one shoud follow the same path in life, if for ex. he were born and grown up in a different environment. Is this so? Author here somehow and with his writing style raises the same problem like Jean Jacques Rousseau had said in 18th century of Enlightment, that : man is born good, but it's society that spoils him/her. For ex. here the hero deals with sex and drugs and alcohol,but why does this happen to this extent? You never know whole answer! As also Jesus had said that ''truth is NOT absolute'', then it's easy to guess, under what conditions was one brought up, had family or not, is it our own choices that lead our destiny, or destiny is just a product of determinism, based on what we are mostly than our choices consciously..Then after this relativity of truth starts!: And of course the way one follows depends on many factors always.
The book as much ot offer us for meditation than just think that it's merely so. The anatomy of huma sould is a very difficult thing, as we see, you can expect everything from all others, and also it's a bit weird but sometimes we meet the good from those we don't expect and many times the opposite. Of course everything is based on power of existence of each one of us as a unique 'unit''. And by doing anatomy of characters in this book, we can be taught a lot!.. the key to interpret customs and human behavior is always a) how and b)why.
A life style many times can be based on philosophy on life of each one; like here here, may be he just wants to enjoy life in his own way, that is not approved by others, but let's also not forget, as the author here that ''death will come one day'' and we never live a second life, only once, as gift from God! Thus, here here, just wants to enjoy life, the way he wants, thinking one day will die and will never live again! -The ancient Philosophy of Epicurus, had defended this aspect, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!-
Let's all of us draw our own conclusions.. I give 3 on 4 starts to this book, for he good efforts of author and his descriptive ability..
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I reviewed this book and I have to agree with you on everything. You've done a great review.
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

I love this book :D I'm sure everyone who likes stories about true friendship and second chances would love to read this too :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for your insightful review :tiphat:
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

The first thing that draw my attention to this official review was the title of the novel. It sounded humorous to me.I'm glad to realize that the author takes as much time as is needed in building up the characters and truly drawing out their shortcomings and insecurities. Great review.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I like the art of dividing the plot into three parts , it ensures that every critical episode receives due attention and that eventually the separate parts come together without any glitches .I am at the moment reading "The Attuned" , i could not help but notice the same art being applied.Thanks for the review ZenaLei
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book seems to be well thought out, but this isn't my genre so I am going to pass. Great review.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

A well-written, gripping story that has well-developed characters and filled with humor. Not sure it's for me, though, as I am a fan of action-packed thrillers. However, I am glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for the awesome review!
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

The book sounds interesting but I am already put off by alcoholism, nudity and other vices. I would have to pass on this one, though i'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the overview.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Great review, ZenaLei7. I also reviewed this book and had a similar opinion. I liked the way they broke the book into three parts and, like you, I enjoyed the light-hearted interaction between Gary and Duke. Really good book. :techie-studyingbrown:
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Great review, ZenaLei7. I also reviewed this book and had a similar opinion. I liked the way they broke the book into three parts and, like you, I enjoyed the light-hearted interaction between Gary and Duke. Really good book. :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

An alcoholic sword-swallower? Sounds like an interesting premise. I like that the author breaks it into three sections and first focuses on each character separately. I love that the book focuses on character-development. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Moushmi Radhanpara
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moushmi-radhanpara.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moushmi Radhanpara »

A book revolving around author’s friendship with a Sword Swallower sounds intriguing, The fact that it is based on true events makes it all the more interesting. I think this is going to be a great read. Congratulations to the author and thank you for sharing a thorough review.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

Sounds like Gary Robinson and Duke Renolds are two interesting characters to get to know. And the format sounds unique to me. Thank you for a great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”