Official Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Re: Official Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

The story with an Indian premise seems interesting to me, because I am from there too. I've been to circus and to read about it could bring back childhood memories and also present the other side of it. I look forward to reading it.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I agree with your point about the glossary. I'm glad you liked the book overall though. Congrats to the author on the 4/4 review!
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I read the sample and feel badly for Muthu. Her family seems to give everything to her sisters and everyone treats her badly. I don't know if I could continue to read this book if there is abuse. I can't stand that. Thanks for the great review.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I was first surprised then glad the review revealed that Elastic Girl is a fictional story.
While enjoying the first few chapters I was struck at the harshness of life experienced by the protagonist and her family and, while I’m sure the book is based on the reality of life for many in India, it is helpful to know it is not autobiographical.

Muthu’s attitude in the face of her difficult life is amazing, showing extraordinary resilience and courage. I appreciate the warning of sexual assault/rape, yet still look forward to continuing the story and learning more of her time as a circus performer. The book so far is heart warming and engaging with characters that immediately come to life.

Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
Gbemisola
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbemisola.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Gbemisola »

I am glad Muthu was able to strengthen her mind and triumph in the challenging circumstances she found herself in. Thanks for the great review.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

The narrative is an eye opener on the going-ons in showbiz.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Sounds like its an amazing story as I read from your review. I'd like to read this book before forming an opinion. Thanks for your insightful review.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

A very touching story of the predicament children find themselves iñ through no fault of their own. I am glad Muthu found it in herself to excell and maybe make it work to her advantage. Great review.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I have a love/hate relationship with stories like this. I hate to see kids in "danger" in stories ESPECIALLY when they are based on real life scenarios. It's always the kids, especially the girl children who suffer the most from poverty. However, "the most challenging circumstances" are the ones to learn the most from. I just wish the learning didn't have to be so painful to the innocent ones.
Jesskid
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Jesskid »

This is an awesome book despite the graphic scenes.Muthu goes through alot and still doesn't give up on life..

Thanks for the review
aajumbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aajumbo.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by aajumbo »

I have always wondered how those circus people perform their various acts.Elastic girl seems interesting and captivating
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Terence_Motheo_BW
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Terence_Motheo_BW »

This books seems to be about the hardships of life, transformation that one can go through in this case issues of human trafficking as well as sexual exploitation are prevalent. Because of the country in the plot a few might get lost in translation as the native jargon is used frequently outside of that one can got through the book and get a perspective of the everyday struggle that one can experience living life.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I loved the sample, but I'm a little turned off of the book at your mention of rape. I'm not so sure I want to finish reading it now.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
samantha_nichols_70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by samantha_nichols_70 »

I was drawn in by the narrative in the sample that I was able to download, and the engaging characters. I would like to read it in its entirety in the near future
Befit_love
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Befit_love »

This is a touching and inspirational one. This is exactly what some people go through in d real world. So much sensitivity and breakdown but yet the hope and strength for a better and greater future. Awesome book. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”