Official Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cin8685
Currently Reading: The Address
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cin8685.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Re: Official Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by Cin8685 »

This book definitely sounds like an interesting read, although I agree with the previous posters responses in regards to the rape/violence against the children. Being a mom of little ones, I’m not sure I could stomach that thought. I do enjoy finding out the behind the scenes or lives of circus performers, etc like in water for elephants. Not to mention the cultural aspect of the book would be good as well. I’ll have to keep this book in mind!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

This sounds lovely and I really enjoyed the sample on Amazon, but the minor rape makes this a no-go for me, I'm afraid. Thanks for the warning!
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I read the sample, but wasn't grabbed by it. Your review is good, but I don't think this one is for me. I don't mind graphic sex scenes, but I think ones involving children might disturb me greatly. The premise is interesting though. Thanks for the review!
BillStevens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-billstevens.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by BillStevens »

I have read the sample and appreciate your review. I found both very readable and informative. I wish everyone who casts aspersions upon people who wish to live in North America coukd read such accounts and gain some appreciation of what it's like to live in poverty and an absence of human rights. Now is not the time for me to read the entire novel, but I may one day; I consider it the 21st century equivalent of David Copperfield, and that is a very rare work of literature. It must be equally rare for an Irish author to write such a story set in India.

I hope everything worked out for Muthu...
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

The review of this book makes it sound like a very inspirational read. However,I found the sample didn’t hold my attention like the review suggested it would.
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

i always loved the circus, and this is a great insight as to how the diversity of performers end up there and how they are changed and become who they need to be. great book.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Who hasn't dreamt of running of to join the circus? I love the premise of this book and can't wait to read it.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I love the premise of this story - I’d love to know more about circus life in India. It also sounds like the author does justice to her characters and creates a realistic and poignant story for them.
chrystalheart
Currently Reading: Fire and fury
Bookshelf Size: 725
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystalheart.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by chrystalheart »

This book brings to life the colorful land of India and the tough decisions caused by poverty and government negligence. The sights, smells, feelings, and thoughts are graphically on display for gluttonous consumption by the reader. If you want to really understand a different place from the perspective of someone who lives there, this is the book for you.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the informative review. I feel sick just thinking about the abuse exploited children go through. This is such a heavy topic for me, and one I can't help but think about frequently. Due to the rape scenes, I will have to pass on this book. I don't do well with dark scenes like that.
Shaat
Currently Reading: Rich Dad and Poor Dad
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Shaat »

The book about the circus family is a very interesting and heart touching. The story is very well written and it is very close to the reality because I am from the same area and I witnessed all such happenings their. The life of poor especially women is very miserable. Thanks for your review nice job.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

This sounds like an interesting book. I already like Muthu's character and look forward to following her as she matures. You did a great job on the review. Thank you for sharing.
Madison Degraffenreid
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I could tell immediately upon reading the synopsis that this one is a winner. Now, after reading your review, it's confirmed. I love stories that draw our attention to seemingly unseen problems in the world. Books are the perfect vehicle to accomplish this, I truly believe. Thanks for the great review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Wow, this book sounds like it covers a lot of issues. I have been reading/watching a lot of material about India and the level of poverty is quite incomprehensible for some of us who have lived fairly comfortable lives. Thanks for the review.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

This book seems like it is going to be memorable. I would like to know more about how poverty affects India. Also, the character development makes it even more interesting. Although the graphic scenes discourage me a bit, I think I'll be giving this one a try. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”