Official Review: Charles' Story by Steven Wilkens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Official Review: Charles' Story by Steven Wilkens

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 06:42
CatInTheHat wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 21:09
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 19:01 As I gather from your review, the love between Charles and Karen could be a sort of a matured love, or a love blooming in "off-season" that was circumstantial, or a love with utilitarian purposes. Among other things, it could be construed as a ploy by Karen to win the confidence of Charles, hence, to pry much more deeply into the personality of Charles. Whichever way, this book will be an interesting read. Thanks for your splendid review.
Oh, no! Karen is a young woman in her mid-twenties. Charles is in his mid-nineties. They are not romantically involved in any way.
Watching Karen and Charles explore the different forms of love makes the reader explore it in themselves, as you experience their emotions. I felt these emotions as I read, which made me want to know more about these people.

As I have said, my impression is from what I gathered from the review. It is of urgency then that I have to go read the book entirely, once and for all. Thanks for pointing out.
They do explore love, together, but it is not romantic between them. It's too hard to explain without major spoilers....
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

CatInTheHat wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 09:44
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 06:42
CatInTheHat wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 21:09

Oh, no! Karen is a young woman in her mid-twenties. Charles is in his mid-nineties. They are not romantically involved in any way.
Watching Karen and Charles explore the different forms of love makes the reader explore it in themselves, as you experience their emotions. I felt these emotions as I read, which made me want to know more about these people.

As I have said, my impression is from what I gathered from the review. It is of urgency then that I have to go read the book entirely, once and for all. Thanks for pointing out.
They do explore love, together, but it is not romantic between them. It's too hard to explain without major spoilers....
Okay, I understand now. It was never a May-December affair. Err. . I mean there was never an affair.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think you failed to include love of his car, LOL! I believe that men develop significant attachments to their vehicles which share in their journeys. The passing on of wisdom from the old to the young while on the road in an old car is symbolic to me.

I'm open to hitching a ride with Charles and eavesdropping on this conversation. Thanks for the enticing review, CatInTheHat!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An epic saga revolving around the developing relationships between Charles and reporter sounds good. It is great the author manged to tie a young reporter, an old man, and a car into one storyline. Too bad about the grammar errors and the predictability aspect. I am glad you enjoyed it despite those issues. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Caleb danjuma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Caleb danjuma »

This is so interesting I love this story thanks for your review u did well 😊😊😊
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Sounds like a great read, the few pages I have read are awesome. Your review is awesome too.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Im not sure this book peeks at my curiosity. The storyline seems a little bit flat with nothing exceptional or extraordinary. The journalist and his story and the angle he takes is a good twist but otherwise I dont think im interested. Great review btw.
MA
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

I wondered about the tone of this book and the review described it well. It seems like an inspiring story from life lessons on how the main characters bonded. I'm curious to know what the two have in common.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a heartfelt inspirational fiction story that is would recommend to all readers. The incredible onlinebookclub review of the book was the main reason I read the book and I found myself enjoying it and rainy it 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Aliyuoniye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Aliyuoniye »

What do a young reporter, an old man, and a 1936 Auburn 852 Boattail Speedster have in common? Steven Wilkens has woven an amazing epic saga in Charles’ Story showing just how those things come together. sounds interesting.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Melchi Asuma wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:22 Im not sure this book peeks at my curiosity. The storyline seems a little bit flat with nothing exceptional or extraordinary. The journalist and his story and the angle he takes is a good twist but otherwise I dont think im interested. Great review btw.
The story can be slow moving at times. The relationships in this story are exceptional and not what one normally sees in a novel. Oh, the journalist is a female :wink:
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:24 This is a heartfelt inspirational fiction story that is would recommend to all readers. The incredible onlinebookclub review of the book was the main reason I read the book and I found myself enjoying it and rainy it 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats on being the BOTD.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's a shame about all the grammatical errors, but I'm fascinated by Charles' many secrets and how the reporter manages (I majored in Communications, so I'm always interested in reporter stories). I've never heard of that kind of car, either, but I'm willing to take the journey in this one... Thanks for the great review and introduction.
Lois Hinderliter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lois Hinderliter »

It sounds like very interesting book and am looking forward to reading it. Although if it has a lot of misspelling and grammar errors I will probably find it hard to keep my interest
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Travel, love, journalism. Really great to be able to read a story that is so fascinating. It is a pitty that it has many grammatical errors.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”