Official Review: The Departure by Sujit Banerjee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Official Review: The Departure by Sujit Banerjee

Post by psychopathycathy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Departure" by Sujit Banerjee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For someone who’s been in a terrible reading slump for half a year, I read through this book super fast - which is most definitely a good thing. I decided to read this book to review mainly because I knew it was a collection of short stories, and everyone who’s ever been in a reading slump knows: baby steps.

Rukhsat - The Departure is composed of twenty-six short stories, each inspired by a word beginning with each letter of the alphabet. Every story has a unique premise; for example, “Bhutan” is about a well-kept family secret - the illegitimate son who may not be who you expected. “Devesh” is about finding love again, on the most romantic day of the year. “Siraj” is about a boy who loses his innocence too soon and has sex for food out of desperation - but he manages to find it again, as he holds onto the memory of a generous man at an egg roll stand. “Zayan” is about a child who loses someone close to them, then grows up and loses themselves. But they remember the smell of green apples, a memory of their childhood - in a world that refused to let them have one. And there are plenty more short stories, each full of emotion.

It is absolutely amazing, what this author can do in a few pages. There is a beginning, middle, and end, for each story. Sometimes they are told in order, and readers can follow the life of a character as they grow and change. Sometimes the parts are told out of order, in a way that will allow the reader to piece the story together for themselves. Sometimes the last piece of the story is given to the reader in the final sentence, evoking a shocking feeling of unfamiliarity when the full picture is finally visible. Regardless, each chapter tells a full story, and I personally really liked how much could be understood with so little written.

I really liked all the characters as well. The author was also able to write about all characters in a way that placed them in the gray area between good and bad. Every one, in some way, had their own demons, internal conflicts, flaws, or memories, that really solidified them as an individual and allowed them to fit into their respective chapters. In each section, I also loved seeing how the characters interacted with one another, whether it was only in memories, letter-writing, or even only subtly through context.

For the most part, I also liked the writing style, as I really enjoyed the figurative language, as well as the manipulation of punctuation and spacing to emphasize certain sentences. However, I do think that this book is need of some heavy editing, as there were many formatting and grammatical errors. For example, in the preface there was a run-on sentence: “No, they never die they multiply.” In another chapter, the incorrect “its” was used: “Like a restless ocean and it’s even more restless waves…”, and in another chapter, there was an extra article: “A gash and a then a hand grasped my soul and yanked at it.” Sometimes there is an extra space before a period. These are definitely minor issues, but because there were too many errors, it slightly hindered my reading experience, and I could only rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, despite all its positives.

Overall, I’d definitely recommend this book to everyone, but I think readers of contemporary novels about social issues or people who like short stories would enjoy it greatly. I’m sure with some more editing this book would flow even more smoothly, and its effect would be even more powerful. Still, the author has crafted a book that is intensely emotional, eye-opening, and thought-provoking, and reading it was an unforgettable experience.

The Departure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like psychopathycathy's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, regardless of the editing, it sounds like it's full of interesting stories. I like a good short story from time to time. I'm still unsure about this collection, though. I'll think about it. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot sounds juicy! The way the author captures different characters is amazing special each has something or some story to say on their side. Good review and the story is worth paying attention to.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like an interesting read; I especially like the idea of having poems based on each letter of the alphabet.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I like a series of short stories, and I think I would find the book a whole lot amazing...having read this review. Thanks for the review.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a great book to ease yourself back into the pool of reading. I wonder how much of the grammatical errors stem from translation or English being the second language of the author...
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Such an insightful review for a book that sounds equally insightful. I would love to read a revised edition. It's such a waste for a book such as this to remain unedited.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I saw through your eyes what this read has to offer and I am amaze as you are. Everyone has a past to a certain extend, and if we live in it there is no coming out of that. I believe this read reflects upon that. Thank you for this review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I love characters having a gray shade, because they seem more realistic in nature. I will give this story collection a try, thanks for the informative review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I knew it was a collection of short stories, and everyone who’s ever been in a reading slump knows: baby steps.
Great decision! It’s the best way to get out of a slump, in my opinion.
It is absolutely amazing, what this author can do in a few pages. There is a beginning, middle, and end, for each story. Sometimes they are told in order, and readers can follow the life of a character as they grow and change. Sometimes the parts are told out of order, in a way that will allow the reader to piece the story together for themselves. Sometimes the last piece of the story is given to the reader in the final sentence, evoking a shocking feeling of unfamiliarity when the full picture is finally visible. Regardless, each chapter tells a full story, and I personally really liked how much could be understood with so little written.

I really liked all the characters as well. The author was also able to write about all characters in a way that placed them in the gray area between good and bad. Every one, in some way, had their own demons, internal conflicts, flaws, or memories, that really solidified them as an individual and allowed them to fit into their respective chapters.

These are such great accomplisments that speak volumes about the talent of the author. It must not be easy to create a whole plot in a few pages and I really love multidimensional characters. We are complex as humans and have a lot of grey areas, so I find this kind of characters much more realistic and easy to relate.

Great, compelling review, thanks!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! Sounds original with each story starting with the letter of the alphabet. Also your comment was noteworthy as well: "It is absolutely amazing, what this author can do in a few pages. There is a beginning, middle, and end, for each story." With some editing sounds like it would be a good read!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is interesting that this book has 26 stories, one for each letter of the alphabet. The characters the author wrote about are not portrayed all good or all bad, which makes them more believable to the reader. It sounds like this book helped you out of your reading slump!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's interesting to note that a reading slump is not really that uncommon. Your insightful review is a good indication of quicker recovery, though. Thus, thank you.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”