Official Review: Running In Plain Sight & Other S...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: John Nielson Had a Daughter
Currently Reading: Les Misérables
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: "Domani" by Carolyn Gross

Official Review: Running In Plain Sight & Other S...

Post by NadineTimes10 » 20 Dec 2017, 17:28

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running In Plain Sight & Other Stories" by Charles R. Butts Jr..]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running in Plain Sight & Other Stories is a compilation of historical and contemporary fiction. In it, author Charles R. Butts Jr. brings four short stories about life, love, tragedy, and pivotal lessons learned by four different men.

In the title story, Running in Plain Sight, a ten-year-old boy, Leander, is forced to escape from his hometown when his parents are murdered. From that point, he constantly lives life on the run. In If All Minds are Clear, an up-and-coming minister, Brantley, is on his way to becoming the next pastor of his church. Yet, his sordid conduct behind closed doors could cost him the ministry. In Home, a man named P. Randall Spires could finally see healing come to his fractured family, but the trauma of his past still haunts him. In the last story, A Balanced Imbalance, Zachary is a depressed man with bipolar disorder. He’s faced with the choice of giving life another try or giving in to the lure of suicide.

The tough situations and realistically flawed characters make these stories engaging to read. The author doesn’t attempt to sugarcoat the reality the characters face. Still, a spirit of hope eventually makes its way through each account. While the writing style is fairly simplistic, the thoughtful and down-to-earth messages in this book can be accessible to many readers.

One challenge with writing multiple stories is giving the characters distinct voices, particularly the protagonists. Each story in this compilation is narrated in first person, which is fine, but not all of the protagonists sound too distinct from each other. It’s as if the same character could be narrating more than one of the stories. There’s also some awkward pacing and plot development, and the last two stories feel rushed. After a certain point in those two stories, the protagonists seem to be in a hurry to wrap things up. Consequently, the ending emotions come off as rather trite summaries instead of developing more subtly or naturally through the plot and characters.

However, my main concern with this book is its number of errors and inconsistencies. There’s missing punctuation, capitalization errors, and numerous sentences with comma splices. In the first story, the historical timeline doesn’t match the progression of Leander’s age. Hence, the Great Depression begins and ends a couple of decades too early.

Also, throughout the book, there’s frequent verb tense confusion. The protagonists often slip into narrating past events in present tense. In the first story especially, it becomes unclear if the protagonist is giving an account of what already happened, entirely in the past, or if he’s right there during the story’s middle years, telling the reader about them as they happen. Thorough editing would address these issues and give the book more polish and needed clarity.

Overall, this compilation has entertaining accounts with encouraging messages, but its presentation could be much improved. Therefore, I give Running in Plain Sight & Other Stories a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. While it may satisfy some fans of short fiction as it is, I’d recommend that the book be edited to appeal to a wider range of readers.

Running In Plain Sight & Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: "The Grace Emancipation" by Charlotte Hawkins

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Dec 2017, 08:55

I'm glad you reviewed this one because it just isn't appealing to me at all. Thanks for the review, but I will avoid it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: "When Fire Met Rain" by Henry Reign

Post by Mercy Bolo » 21 Dec 2017, 13:11

It would help if each individual story was written by a different author. Thank you for the honest review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: John Nielson Had a Daughter
Currently Reading: Les Misérables
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: "Domani" by Carolyn Gross

Post by NadineTimes10 » 21 Dec 2017, 16:44

Mercy Bolo wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 13:11
It would help if each individual story was written by a different author. Thank you for the honest review.
You're welcome! :) I actually like single-author short story collections just as much as I like collections (anthologies) written by multiple authors. But there's certainly an art to fine-tuning characters' voices, even in longer or separate works by the same author. I think having stories so "close" to each other in one book just makes similar-sounding narrators more noticeable. :D

For the most part, though, I think the storylines themselves here contrast each other pretty well.

Sahani Nimandra
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: Emotional Intelligence
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 21 Dec 2017, 23:01

I'm glad the author did not sugar coat his characters and each represent their story, at footrest I found it difficult to understand what he was saying but l later it was clear, short stories found ok to me but why do much errors? It kills the book. Anyways good review!
" The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without been lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without been harmed...since beginning-less time, darkness tribes in the void, but always yields to purifying light"

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 30 Dec 2017, 08:21

I enjoy short stories but I will only read this book after it is properly edited.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert

Mtsweni Nelsy
2017 Reading Goal: 24
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy » 01 Jan 2018, 08:50

Historical and contemporal fiction is not really my cup of tea. Thanks for the amazing review though.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”