Review by Rosemary Wright -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Rosemary Wright
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: The World According To Good Gods by Greg Oliver

Review by Rosemary Wright -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Rosemary Wright » 19 Dec 2017, 09:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell written by William H. Coles spotlights the backwash of arrogance and selfishness. The protagonist of this work of fiction is Hiram McDowell, a self-important, self-centred and ambitious surgeon. He is a regent to the board of directors of the International College of Surgeons in Chicago. Hiram approaches Michael O'Leary, a key member of the college's board of governors executive committee, and asks him to swing votes for him to be nominated for the post of the president of the college with a promise to make Michael the executive director of the college. Hiram is elected president but he broke his promise to Michael who vowed to ruin him.

Hiram's high-and-mighty attitudes get him into trouble with the law, and he is convicted and sentenced to twenty-five years imprisonment. He escapes from jail and takes a journey into the wilderness and starts writing a memoir. He then meets a woman in a convenience store and his values and perspectives about life change. This book is in two parts. The first part is about the rise of Hiram McDowell and the second part, his fall. The setting of the story takes the readers of the book through various cities in the United States of America; from Denver to Chicago, New York, and other cities.

The story has a fascinating and suspenseful plot, and well developed characters that are interestingly relatable. The plot runs smoothly and it's fast paced. As I read, closing the book occasionally, was an absolute struggle for me because I just wanted to know what was next. The book has mentions of sexism. Sophie, one of Hiram's daughters was a photographer involved in a project about the plight of women. This book also gives insight to the influence of family on kids and parental negligence as Hiram's pedigree is seen going through life with psychological issues.

I like the way the author explored the politics involved in healthcare and journalism institutions and the consequent need and fight for good journalism; fair reporting with truth and balance. Additionally, the book plays up the corrupt practices in some philanthropic foundations; inadequate documenting of the scope of benefits available and benefits actually received compared to fundraising results.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because in addition to being very intriguing and engaging, it seems properly edited and proofread. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction books, who appreciate fiction with a blend of crime.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: At Home in Mitford
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Maltese Incident by Russell F. Moran

Post by kdstrack » 09 Jan 2018, 16:34

Enjoyed your review very much. I liked how you pointed out the theme of the influence of family on the children. Very interesting. Thanks!

Rosemary Wright
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: The World According To Good Gods by Greg Oliver

Post by Rosemary Wright » 09 Jan 2018, 21:01

kdstrack wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 16:34
Enjoyed your review very much. I liked how you pointed out the theme of the influence of family on the children. Very interesting. Thanks!
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 » 14 Sep 2018, 00:51

Very nice review. I get interested in reading the novel.

Princeroland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Princeroland » 16 Sep 2018, 06:04

nice review...... really the book is a good one with so many lessons to be learnt

Naheed883
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Naheed883 » 27 Sep 2018, 02:48

this book is very nice because to many lessons to be learnt, and i like that very much.
I likable however you distinguished the theme of the influence of family on the youngsters. it,s really too much interesting.
i'll give 4 rating stars for your book.

Asavela
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela » 01 Oct 2018, 08:38

Sounds like a great book that raise important issues, so interesting.

Kareka88
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 200
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Clockmaker's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 » 01 Oct 2018, 08:39

Rosemary Wright wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 09:56
he protagonist of this work of fiction is Hiram McDowell, a self-important, self-centred and ambitious surgeon.

The story has a fascinating and suspenseful plot, and well developed characters that are interestingly relatable. The plot runs smoothly and it's fast paced. As I read, closing the book occasionally, was an absolute struggle for me because I just wanted to know what was next.
Thank you for your review. I just started reading this and I agree with you about the self-important and self-centeredness and I would say overly ambitiousness of McDowell. I am glad to know there is more to the story. I am always looking for books with good character development and a plot that will hold my interest.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Evance Wekesa

Post by Evance Wekesa » 01 Oct 2018, 08:45

Such an amazing book to read, very interesting and informative articles on this book keeps me up all the time

Ferdinand_otieno
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 548
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 01 Oct 2018, 08:51

This is an amazing piece of literary fiction from William H. coles and i loved reading and reviewing it. The onlinebookclub review of the book was written perfectly and it highlighted the best the book had to offer. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 114
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Down Among the Sticks and Bones
Bookshelf Size: 1865
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 01 Oct 2018, 08:52

A book revolving around the rise and fall of self-centered ambitious surgeon sounds intriguing. A suspenseful plot, well developed characters, and good writing make for a good book. The exploration of politics and psychological issues is a plus. That it was well-edited is another plus. Thank you for the review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

bb587
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by bb587 » 01 Oct 2018, 08:52

I hate when evil is validated and rewarded, but I love the eventual comeuppance. I like that this book is in two parts, specifically split between the rise and fall.

jelly_lover101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by jelly_lover101 » 01 Oct 2018, 08:55

That was such an insightful review. I quite loved your recount of the story. It makes me want to read it, I love books such as these

LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt » 01 Oct 2018, 08:55

This guy was a doctor? Lol. Sounds like a great book. I wasn't sure if I was going to read it before. Thanks to your review, I think I will.
:techie-studyingbrown:

deashane

Post by deashane » 01 Oct 2018, 08:59

i like that it has an influence to family on kids and parental negligence.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”