Official Review: Pretty Ugly by Sean Hillen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: Pretty Ugly by Sean Hillen

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pretty Ugly" by Sean Hillen.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pretty Ugly is a novel by Sean Hillen. At the center of the story is a model by the name of Patricia. After a sudden onset of temporary blindness, she causes a car crash that puts her friend Christine in a coma. This blindness was not caused by some disease, but by nanoparticles in her makeup.

Colm is an Irish-born journalist for an American newspaper who wants to tell Patricia’s story to the world and expose Bellus, the company behind the unsafe product. Beyond the two of them, there is a bigger story in Pretty Ugly about large corporations living by their own rules in an unregulated industry, the politicians trying to stop them, and newspapers trying to stand against corporate influences in a time of dwindling readership.

The biggest flaw of the book was that it seemed that what the author really wanted to write was a non-fiction story. The book is more concerned with the science and educating the reader rather than the characters and plot. Sometimes it just regurgitates data and complicated scientific terms, which gave me the impression that the author is not familiar with them enough to explain things to the reader in a simple way. Oftentimes the book seemed to steer into downright Ludditism with its opposition to nanoparticles in favor of cosmetics made from natural ingredients. It seemed that the author had an important message, but couldn’t write a story around it.

Then there is the rough start. I felt I was drowning in a sea of characters at the beginning of the book. They were quickly introduced one after the other with not enough time to really get to know them. It made the book confusing and hard to get into.

I also didn’t like how the book treated some of its characters. Patricia was treated like a weak woman by everyone. She was a damsel in distress that was in need of saving and protecting. Then there are the story’s bad guys. It is an often repeated fact that villains don’t see themselves as villains. Instead, they think they are the true heroes of the story. In Pretty Ugly the story’s bad guys are well aware of their role. They’re just one step away from twirling their mustaches. They behaved exactly as you would expect evil businessmen to act. It was like something out of a cartoon and made the story feel unrealistic.

One of the book’s positives was an interesting portrait of Ireland. Patricia moves to a remote Irish island to hide from the press. As Colm tries to find her there, we get a glimpse of the local landscape and mythology. The book paints a really vivid picture of the place.

Despite it not being delivered in the best way, the book had some interesting things to teach its readers about science and the makeup industry. If there’s one thing I would recommend it for it’s this. It is definitely not a book for people who don’t like stories with a lot of science in them.

I feel that Pretty Ugly had an interesting premise, but a sloppy execution. It was readable once it actually got started, so I give the book 2 out of 4 stars.

Pretty Ugly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Hmm! There are women who are of "damsel in distress" by nature it self, the story plot is good, the idea the author tried to convey is understandable! But then if the book is not focused to its prime subject, then it means that the author may have gone astray or not done enough research as you have mentioned. If it is so, then I wish the author had done a better job!
Thank you for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm unsure why authors like to introduce so many characters all at one time. Reviewer after reviewer has stated how off-putting that is, but they still insist on doing it! It's so overwhelming. It sounds like an interesting concept, but it wasn't well done. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helen+Hill
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Helen+Hill »

While I understand that books, just like any art form, bring out the uniqueness in each of us, I found the review of this book rather harsh. But, some might love a certain style while others might not. It's the same with this book, which I read earlier this year and enjoyed very much. As one of my favorite writers is Dean Koontz, I found Hillen's writing style similar in terms of character's internal dialogues, landscapes and nature descriptions setting the mood for the action or the characters' feelings (But without the horror parts as it is not a horror novel). Beautiful wring style. And I really appreciated the humor, very obvious it's an Irish writer as it has that great subtle, black humor. I feel that in our times, too many new novels have a superficial way of bringing the reader into a topic - too much dumbing down to suit most tastes and thus sell more books. So I strongly disagree with the reviewer when she considers a flaw of this novel the fact that "The book is more concerned with the science and educating the reader." From reading the book, I remember being impressed with the fact that the writer makes sure to explain certain medical situations using dialogue between characters or internal dialogues. It makes the novel even more alive by grounding the action in a reality which might soon become a real threat. As for one of the main characters, Patricia, I perceived her as a strong woman, very real, with doubts just like any of us, who blames herself for what happened to her friend but who is very much able to stand her ground in several strong arguments with the journalist following her. Also, I loved the weaving of political, medical and journalistic aspects which make the characters' dilemmas even more complex. It is a book I would classify as social, high-end contemporary with a tendency for literary fiction. So I highly recommend it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”