Official Review: Henry's Mill by Vic Veale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: Henry's Mill by Vic Veale

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Henry's Mill" by Vic Veale.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Henry’s Mill by Vic Veale is a fictional novel set in Yorkshire, England. The story begins in 1903, with the three Henry brothers working together to join the industrial revolution. They buy a local mill in the hopes of building upon the weaver’s cottage business of their parents. They aim to “modernize” the family business of hand-producing yarn and woollen cloth by using mechanical production methods. This novel chronicles the lives of four generations of the Henry family and the challenges of running a production-based business over approximately a century.

This is not an action-packed, edge of your seat type of novel. It is a cosy read about the interesting lives connected to the three Henry brothers and the changes in the industry over the years. We learn about the directions different family members take and who steps up to the plate to deal with the ever-changing needs of the business. The Henrys continuously work to determine how their product fits with the market of the time. They also aim to meet the current demand both cost-effectively and with a quality product.

I really appreciated that the people in the story felt real. The characters went through the regular trials of life but they were not stereotypical or over-exaggerated. The Henry family and friends were a varied bunch of people. They were also thoughtful and worked through their lives and business challenges with integrity. I enjoyed reading about travel throughout the book. The characters that travelled met some interesting and life-changing people along the way. By being open to new ideas and new people, the Henrys were able to find new business opportunities and forge life-long relationships.

The author, Vic Veale, ran a textile business for many years and this book often reads more like a memoir (albeit a fictional one) than a typical fiction novel. I did feel that I would have enjoyed the story being fleshed out a bit more with additional dialogue between some of the characters. It would have been good to feel a part of some of the scenes instead of having them related to me afterwards. I would also have appreciated a graphical family tree. It was hard to remember who everyone was and how they were all connected sometimes. I did not find the list at the beginning of the book very helpful for my visual mind.

I rate Henry’s Mill 3 out of 4 stars. I only noticed a few typos and/or grammar errors while reading the book. After going through the book again, to meet the new review requirements to note the first ten errors, I did notice more minor issues than at first. I enjoyed this novel, especially getting to know the characters. I would have liked to have had more detail to the story as a novel. If this novel had called itself a fictional memoir, I may have been more inclined to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to people who enjoy learning about several generations of a family, those that are interested in character development, and those who like learning about how a particular industry changes over a significant length of time. I am not sure that readers with a strong preference for fast-paced horror/action/thriller type novels would appreciate this book.

Henry's Mill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Snowflake's review? Post a comment saying so!
peace starts with a smile...
Chloe Johnson
Currently Reading: Puffy and the Formidable Foe
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloe-johnson.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Chloe Johnson »

Very helpful for figuring out what a good review of a book should look like! This particular book isn't generally the type I would pick up at a bookstore or the library, but your review was honest and encouraging in a way that made me consider wanting to read it anyway. Thank you :)
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Thank you for your comments Chloe. If you do choose to read it, I hope you enjoy it :-)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Wonderful review. For the author to fit four generatins of one family in one book is impressive. It is a book I would read because I like realistic characters.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Thank you Mercy. I hope you enjoy it!
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

how industries develop overtime shifting with the change in economy and all, i would like to give myself the pleasure of learning that from the book. good review
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Thank you Abodunrin.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A family business that has run for a century is quite significant, especially if they have been able to keep the business trends. Too bad the story lacks the right amount of interaction among the characters to keep the reader more engaged. Thanks for the review!
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Thanks for the description of the book... sounds like one right up my alley. I tend to enjoy books that build slowly and really take the time to develop the characters, though I agree that it is preferable that some sort of family tree be provided if they start to become numerous.
Alliah Escobar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alliah Escobar »

This book gives a nice descriptio the story. The two younger brothers learned a hard way to realize what sacrifice they would have to make to save their family business. It was good to know the story wasn't over the top, but more natural which felt more real. Each character has its own abilities to learn from. So good book!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Thank you for your detailed review. When a book is about character development and industrial revolution, I would say yes to this book especially the latter part because that will give me a glimpse of industrial history.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

A very interesting review, and as I like multi-generational sagas, I'd certainly read it.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Nice review! Even if I do tend toward the suspense/fast-paced side of things, I'd still like to slow down every once in a while and read something like this. Thanks for the insights.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

The book sounds unique and intriguing but I prefer fast-paced books. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

:arrow: The story of the book is absolutely inspiring. The author opts a unique topic of struggle of a family during industrial age. A great review. Do check my reviews. Thanks
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”