Official Review: LINK by Lucella Campbell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: LINK by Lucella Campbell

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "LINK" by Lucella Campbell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

LINK is a philosophical novel by Lucella Campbell. It has 153 pages (in the copy that I received) so it is a fairly short read. It is written in third-person point of view. The novel centers on the life of Link as he discovers what it means to be human. Ms. Campbell also explores the subject of humanity’s need for spiritual connection.

Link is an adventurous formless being from Altura. During his travels, he comes to Earth and becomes fascinated with it. However, with his formless state, he can only observe how humans behave. He is curious about many abstract ideas such as anger, jealousy, love, and even death. This curiosity fuels his desire to exchange his formless state for a human body. This way, he will be able to experience life on Earth. On his first day as a human being, he befriends Dax, a twelve-year-old curious boy from the peaceful town of Placencia. With Dax and his grandmother’s help, Link gets a chance to see and experience the life on Earth.

I liked how Ms. Campbell used Dax as Link’s partner in the story. Dax was cheerful and bright. He was curious, like most children in his age. What I appreciated most was his innocence. He was young and he accepted most of Link’s explanation on things without being subjective. Through him, I was able to understand Link’s words with clarity. Once in a while, a question forms in my head about Dax and Link’s conversations. Luckily, Dax seemed to ask the same questions. This process proved useful to me as Link’s explanation were thought-provoking. In the eyes of most cynical adults, Link’s ideas were nothing but preposterous and even a form of blasphemy. I am not saying that all the adults presented in the novel were cynical. There were also those that were more open to accepting Link’s ideas.

While the novel was thought-provoking, I could not bring myself to read the whole book in one or two seating. The novel maintained a slow pace throughout the story. Because of this, I had a hard time keeping my focus for a few hours. I had to stop every now and then as it could not hold my interest for a long period.

With that said, I award LINK by Lucella Campbell 3 out of 4 stars. I did not see any grammatical errors which led me to believe that it was professionally edited. I recommend it to anyone who would enjoy reading a fresh perspective on what it means to be a human.

LINK
View: on Bookshelves

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for the informative review. This sounds like a great story, but it doesn't interest me much.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Link is a different kind of extraterrestrial. He/she/it reminds me of the lovable E.T. Unlike E.T., however, Link doesn't seem eager to go home.

Maybe we all need to read this book to appreciate our being human.

Thanks for the insightful review, ellieonline03!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a really interesting novel. I love stories that give other beings' viewpoints on us as humans, thereby forcing us to look at our ways. Thanks for the introduction.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This seems quite like a version of "ET" or something like that. The alien would certainly be an outside observer to the human world and would indeed give a fresh perspective on "humanity." It's a little bit of an overused plot, and if the pace is as slow as you said, I think I'd pass on this one. Thanks for the review.
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

what attracted me to click on the review was quite different from what i saw but notwithstanding the theme wasn't disappointing after all. would want to read on some of the explanations link gave
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad this had such a slow pace. It sounds like a nice concept. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I love stories about aliens and their curiosity for human life. If the author manages to present thought-provoking concepts, that's a plus. But I'm not sure whether I should read this one or not since the pace is slow. Still, thanks for this useful review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”