Official Review: Midnite's Journey by Dana L Silkiss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Midnite's Journey by Dana L Silkiss

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Midnite's Journey" by Dana L Silkiss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Midnite’s Journey: One Man’s Improbable Voyage Through America’s Reality is an inspiring fiction based on true facts written by Dana L. Silkiss.

Midnite is a young, passionate and talented up and coming musician from New York who comes to Florida to check out some friends and play music. He meets a beautiful waitress in Daytona Beach and finds a gorgeous summer cottage for temporary accommodation. However, his luck seems to change when he witnesses three cops beating a black man and he comes over to interfere, because shortly after that, Midnite finds himself, together with two other men, beaten, blindfolded and being transported in a labor camp in Georgia.

Except for the Prologue and Chapter I which are told in the first person perspective of Midnite, the rest of the book is told in third person point of view. It has a steady pacing and is told in chronological order with occasional flash backs for back stories. Though the main themes of the book are racism and prejudice, the story highlights love, friendship, passion, honor and integrity along with corruption, cruelty and abuse. The author successfully depicts both good and evil by portraying the miserable lives of the inmates in the labor camp under inhumane conditions as well as the effort of Midnite and his friends to ensure that justice is served. Moreover, the book depicts success in its most glorious forms, fame and fortune.

The author creates both endearing and despicable characters. Though Midnite is the natural choice for a favorite, I find private detective O’Rourke, FBI agent Petrus and Sensei Aikio just as likable.

However, I find the narrative too detailed. Aside from making the account sound unnatural, the excessive and too elaborate details make the story longer than it should be. Moreover, Midnite seems too ideal even for a main protagonist. He is simply too kind, too smart and too talented. Though some readers, myself included, may find him to be the perfect main character, others may find it difficult to relate to him. Furthermore, I find the back stories on Midnite’s family in New York too short and insubstantial. Finally, though the conflict in the story was basically resolved, I prefer a more conclusive ending.

Besides the issues I mentioned above, however, I genuinely enjoyed reading the book. It is inspiring and encouraging. It is also very informative, though admittedly the information is, somehow, outrageous. I love how the author presents Midnite’s unwavering determination in everything he does. Similarly, I love how Midnite takes care of everyone he loves. The author did a good job of emphasizing how beautiful friendship can be and how little acts of kindness can make a difference in a person’s life.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is informative, inspiring, encouraging and at some points, even suspenseful. I recommend it to readers who enjoy books about music, friendship and rising above adversity. Some scenes, however, may not be suitable for young readers and some information based on true facts may seem surprising and overwhelming.

Midnite's Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like that you based the rating on your overall enjoyment of the books, despite the narrative being too detailed. I also don't like when there are a story gets bogged down with detail, but it sounds like you still loved the book in this case.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Sounds like you loved the book despite small issues with it. Sometimes a book is worth going through little problems. Sounds intriguing. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Hm, not sure how to feel about the exaggeration. Glad you still enjoyed the book though. It sounds interesting. Nice review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I like that you based the rating on your overall enjoyment of the books, despite the narrative being too detailed. I also don't like when there are a story gets bogged down with detail, but it sounds like you still loved the book in this case.
Oh yes, I loved it. I just have to mention those issues for other readers' consideration :)

-- 15 Nov 2017, 06:35 --
kandscreeley wrote:Wow! Sounds like you loved the book despite small issues with it. Sometimes a book is worth going through little problems. Sounds intriguing. Thanks!
Intriguing indeed, especially for a non-American like myself :)

-- 15 Nov 2017, 06:36 --
Ashley Simon wrote:Hm, not sure how to feel about the exaggeration. Glad you still enjoyed the book though. It sounds interesting. Nice review!
Thank you. I actually didn't mind the exaggeration but other readers might :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like characters who are realistic and I can relate to. Too good though inspiring, isn't relatable.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote:I like characters who are realistic and I can relate to. Too good though inspiring, isn't relatable.
A lot of readers would agree with you on that :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”