Official Review: Pride of Love by Kevin Dwyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Pride of Love by Kevin Dwyer

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pride of Love" by Kevin Dwyer.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jesse Coleman is a 22-year old man, living with his mother in Chicago. He doesn’t have any friends and suffers from depression. One day, while walking back home through a dirt-path, he is attacked by three guys. They beat him mercilessly, carve his back with a knife and then leave him there for dead. All of this because they wanted to teach him a lesson. All of this because he was gay. Somehow, Jesse survives this ordeal, with the word ‘***’ forever stamped on his back. Due to the lack of evidence, the offenders are allowed to walk free. Feeling like a failure and hoping for a fresh start, he decides to move away to another town, Lakewood. There he meets Jaden, who has suffered his fair share of troubles. Will Jesse be able to leave his horrific past behind? Will he be able to find a love that heals his wounds? Or will the past come back and haunt him for the rest of his life?

The main theme of Pride of Love by Kevin Dwyer is the tormenting lives lead by gay people. We are all aware of the disdain showed by the orthodox religious people towards the gay community. This book provides a glimpse into the life of a man whose life is on the verge of destruction because other people can’t accept him for who he is. It also highlights the issues of drug abuse and depression among people who are harassed daily, for being different. The brutality of hate crimes and the degrading effect it has on the life of a person, and the people around that person, is also emphasized. This book is full of all the things relevant in today’s world. It is supposed to raise awareness and to bring our attention to all the wrong things happening around us. It just doesn’t hit the right chords.

One of the things that this book miserably fails at is the writing style. From a personal point of view, I wanted to read this book because of its theme. It felt important to see the world through the eyes of a person who suffers from all this hatred. From a professional point of view, after having watched movies like Brokeback Mountain and Moonlight, the subject matter seemed exciting. Such stories tend to have potential and the romance, too, feels more authentic than the one lately, and commonly, publicised by other romance novels. I was disappointed, sorely and bitterly.

From all the books that I have ever read, this one had one of the most flawed writing structure ever. Right from the beginning, it felt so dull and robotic that I constantly kept questioning my choice of this book. It felt like I was reading a screenplay for a movie. The absence of the descriptive form of language left a gaping hole in the narrative. A novel is a form of literature, language is its essence. There was no essence in this novel. The sentences were mundane and constantly felt like a robot’s description of its surroundings. On the top of that, it was full of grammatical mistakes. The last fifty pages, especially, were jam-packed with errors.

While writing about such sensitive issues, the main focus lies on the connection between the characters and the reader. The depth required for this purpose was lacking in this book. All the heart wrenching things that the characters go through are supposed to shake us to the core. They are supposed to make us grieve alongside the characters when they suffer and make us happy when they finally find happiness. No such thing happens while reading Pride of Love. Now that I think about it, the writer had showcased all the worst scenarios that can happen to a person. But none of those things made my heart cringe.

There was no proper development of characters or their backgrounds. A character’s background is essential in understanding the mettle of that character. Understanding leads to attachment. I wasn’t attached to a single character in the whole book. All in all, I believe that every other flaw emerged due to the bad writing style. Hence, my rating for this novel is 1 out of 4 stars. I will admit that the story-line was good. The writing style messed it all up. With a proper language, it could have been a really good book. But it wasn’t. It had the right intention, but not the right implementation.

Pride of Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
George cheruiyot
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by George cheruiyot »

Despite having grammatical mistakes,knowledge of what's happening key,its really good

-- 12 Nov 2017, 05:44 --

Despite having grammatical mistakes,knowledge of what's happening is the key,its really good
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

George cheruiyot wrote:Despite having grammatical mistakes,knowledge of what's happening key,its really good

-- 12 Nov 2017, 05:44 --

Despite having grammatical mistakes,knowledge of what's happening is the key,its really good
Thank you for giving your time to read the review :)
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Great review, too bad for the letdown in the delivery of the story. It would have made for a riveting read for fans of this topic. I'll probably won't go for it given your take.
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

juliusotinyo wrote:Great review, too bad for the letdown in the delivery of the story. It would have made for a riveting read for fans of this topic. I'll probably won't go for it given your take.
I agree with what you have said. It surely woyld have been a riveting read. I am glad you stopped by, thank you :D
Sebasrodalba
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sebasrodalba »

Great review, too bad for the letdown in the delivery of the story. It would have made for a riveting read for fans
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Sebasrodalba wrote:Great review, too bad for the letdown in the delivery of the story. It would have made for a riveting read for fans
Thank you for stopping by :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book tackles such a weighty matter and does it realistically. We all don't have to like each other but we can coexist peacefully.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Mercy Bolo wrote:This book tackles such a weighty matter and does it realistically. We all don't have to like each other but we can coexist peacefully.
Truly said. Thank you for stopping by :D
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

This book looks like it has a great premise at it's heart. Too bad it didn't pan out better. It was good reading the review.
ShivaniS

Post by ShivaniS »

I loved Brokeback Mountain. The description of this book makes it sound very good. Thank you for the review.
PratibhaG

Post by PratibhaG »

A good topic gone to waste! I wish it was better. Thank you for the review.
NeerajS

Post by NeerajS »

Would have been interesting to see the world through the character's eyes. I wish it was better.
RKS

Post by RKS »

I don't understand the mentality if people who committee such hate crimes. It would have been good to get a glimpse of their twisted mentality and of the ones who suffer through it. Thank you for the review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for the insights to this novel. I really hope the author can improve on the writing style.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”