Official Review: Frozen Moments Revisited by Md Taslim

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
kimmyschemy06
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: God is Alive and Well
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: "But My Brain Had Other Ideas" by Deb Brandon

Official Review: Frozen Moments Revisited by Md Taslim

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 07 Nov 2017, 03:53

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frozen Moments Revisited" by Md Taslim.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Frozen Moments Revisited is an enlightening book written by Md Taslim, a retired Mining Engineer from Supaul, Bihar in India.

Aside from Acknowledgment, the book has eleven relatively short chapters. Though it is listed under Other Fiction category, it is more of a memoir in that except for Chapters 3 and 4, the rest of the stories are about the author, about his personal experiences and observations of the world around him, and his personal acquaintances. Regardless, all the stories feature various human behaviors, moral values and human virtues that teach moral lessons.

Though the entire book is filled with wisdom and other beautiful life lessons, it is primarily focused on love: love for family, friend, work, other people and even pet, which the author actually considers family. All of the stories are interesting. They leave behind a lasting impression on the readers’ emotions. Moreover, the author includes specific settings making the stories more realistic and easy to visualize. In addition, descriptions of the characters which include physical appearance and backstories make it easy for the readers to connect with them.

Chapter 2, the story about the Deputy Superintendent of Police in Aurangabad, is probably the best story in this short book. It features an extremely sick man and his insensitive, inconsiderate and, ultimately, unloving family. Chapters 3 and 4 are both interesting anecdotes. While Chapter 3 is about the ultimate power of God above everything and everybody, Chapter 4 tells the story of a once humble and God-fearing teacher who turns proud and arrogant.

One of the most important lessons the author imparts in his book is how insignificant man is compared to God, God’s power and God’s will. Moreover, the author writes about the beauty of sportsmanship and the gift of cheerfulness. Furthermore, the author shares his personal experiences on prejudice, bureaucracy and duplicity among other issues.

This is undoubtedly one good book written with deep passion and sincere and noble intention to teach readers about life. However, the problem lies in how the book is written. First, the book is obviously by a non-English speaker based on awkwardly constructed and choppy sentences (like What is matter? and Master Sahib uses to ask, is there any one greater VIP than I in this town am). Second, there are several grammatical errors including subject verb agreement, inconsistent verb tenses, incorrect word usage and capitalization of proper nouns. Third, there are numerous terminologies used in the book which may be unfamiliar to readers like sahib, sari, puja, thathri, which a glossary of terms can easily fix. Finally, the ending of the last chapter feels abrupt and gives the entire book an incomplete feeling. In that regard, I suggest that the author write another part for the conclusion.

I, therefore, rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is a good book with beautiful stories and life lessons. It is enlightening, inspiring and encouraging. If not for the editing issues I mentioned above I would recommend it to readers who enjoy non-fiction books and inspirational reading materials.

Frozen Moments Revisited
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!

Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: Sebastian
Currently Reading: Dear Thailand
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: "The Key of F" by Jennifer Haskin

Post by Spirit Wandering » 08 Nov 2017, 20:38

Too bad about the writing style issues as it sounds like it had potential and I loved the title. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: "No Child Left Behind" by Claudia Casser

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Nov 2017, 20:51

It's confusing that this is a memoir since it's in the non-fiction genre. Too bad about the obvious non-English language English. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 09 Nov 2017, 01:01

Spirit Wandering wrote:Too bad about the writing style issues as it sounds like it had potential and I loved the title. Thanks for the review.
So true. It's one enlightening and inspiring book if not for those issues.

-- 09 Nov 2017, 01:07 --
kandscreeley wrote:It's confusing that this is a memoir since it's in the non-fiction genre. Too bad about the obvious non-English language English. Thanks for the review.
It's actually under 'Other Fiction' category.

Kat Berg
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading: Undead Redhead
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: "Raging Falcon" by Stephen Perkins
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg » 09 Nov 2017, 21:46

I always feel so bad for authors who have a good book, but they are not native to the language they are writing in, and so it doesn't quite work. They all do bucket loads better than I could ever do in a language different to my native one, yet it is not enough. I am a fixer, and I want to help all the people :) Thanks for the review!

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 10 Nov 2017, 05:03

Kat Berg wrote:I always feel so bad for authors who have a good book, but they are not native to the language they are writing in, and so it doesn't quite work. They all do bucket loads better than I could ever do in a language different to my native one, yet it is not enough. I am a fixer, and I want to help all the people :) Thanks for the review!
So true. In the case of this particular book, a thorough editing will do the trick :)

Kalin Adi
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 680
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kalin Adi » 11 Nov 2017, 21:04

The topics this book deals with are interesting. Too bad the readers won't enjoy them because of the lack of professional editing. Thanks for your honest review!

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 12 Nov 2017, 05:27

Kalin Adi wrote:The topics this book deals with are interesting. Too bad the readers won't enjoy them because of the lack of professional editing. Thanks for your honest review!
Thank you. It's one great book if not for those editing issues.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: "Friends" by Bonita Treasure Murungi Arinaitwe

Post by bookowlie » 12 Nov 2017, 09:54

Great review! It's a shame about the awkward writing because the book sounds inspiring. Hopefully, the author will use a good editor in the future.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: "Through It All" by Joanne Muoh

Post by Mercy Bolo » 12 Nov 2017, 18:43

Despite the shortcomings, I must admit that the cover is really eye-catching. Thank you for an insightful review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 12 Nov 2017, 23:04

bookowlie wrote:Great review! It's a shame about the awkward writing because the book sounds inspiring. Hopefully, the author will use a good editor in the future.
My sentiments, exactly :)

-- 12 Nov 2017, 23:09 --
Mercy Bolo wrote:Despite the shortcomings, I must admit that the cover is really eye-catching. Thank you for an insightful review.
Thank you. I enjoyed the book despite the editing issues :)

Ashley Simon
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon » 16 Nov 2017, 15:49

I enjoy a well-written memoir. Too bad that this one had so many technical issues. Thanks for the review!

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 16 Nov 2017, 23:14

Ashley Simon wrote:I enjoy a well-written memoir. Too bad that this one had so many technical issues. Thanks for the review!
Thank you. This is one great book if not for those issues :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”