Official Review: Frozen Moments Revisited by Md Taslim

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Frozen Moments Revisited by Md Taslim

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frozen Moments Revisited" by Md Taslim.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Frozen Moments Revisited is an enlightening book written by Md Taslim, a retired Mining Engineer from Supaul, Bihar in India.

Aside from Acknowledgment, the book has eleven relatively short chapters. Though it is listed under Other Fiction category, it is more of a memoir in that except for Chapters 3 and 4, the rest of the stories are about the author, about his personal experiences and observations of the world around him, and his personal acquaintances. Regardless, all the stories feature various human behaviors, moral values and human virtues that teach moral lessons.

Though the entire book is filled with wisdom and other beautiful life lessons, it is primarily focused on love: love for family, friend, work, other people and even pet, which the author actually considers family. All of the stories are interesting. They leave behind a lasting impression on the readers’ emotions. Moreover, the author includes specific settings making the stories more realistic and easy to visualize. In addition, descriptions of the characters which include physical appearance and backstories make it easy for the readers to connect with them.

Chapter 2, the story about the Deputy Superintendent of Police in Aurangabad, is probably the best story in this short book. It features an extremely sick man and his insensitive, inconsiderate and, ultimately, unloving family. Chapters 3 and 4 are both interesting anecdotes. While Chapter 3 is about the ultimate power of God above everything and everybody, Chapter 4 tells the story of a once humble and God-fearing teacher who turns proud and arrogant.

One of the most important lessons the author imparts in his book is how insignificant man is compared to God, God’s power and God’s will. Moreover, the author writes about the beauty of sportsmanship and the gift of cheerfulness. Furthermore, the author shares his personal experiences on prejudice, bureaucracy and duplicity among other issues.

This is undoubtedly one good book written with deep passion and sincere and noble intention to teach readers about life. However, the problem lies in how the book is written. First, the book is obviously by a non-English speaker based on awkwardly constructed and choppy sentences (like What is matter? and Master Sahib uses to ask, is there any one greater VIP than I in this town am). Second, there are several grammatical errors including subject verb agreement, inconsistent verb tenses, incorrect word usage and capitalization of proper nouns. Third, there are numerous terminologies used in the book which may be unfamiliar to readers like sahib, sari, puja, thathri, which a glossary of terms can easily fix. Finally, the ending of the last chapter feels abrupt and gives the entire book an incomplete feeling. In that regard, I suggest that the author write another part for the conclusion.

I, therefore, rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is a good book with beautiful stories and life lessons. It is enlightening, inspiring and encouraging. If not for the editing issues I mentioned above I would recommend it to readers who enjoy non-fiction books and inspirational reading materials.

Frozen Moments Revisited
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Too bad about the writing style issues as it sounds like it had potential and I loved the title. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's confusing that this is a memoir since it's in the non-fiction genre. Too bad about the obvious non-English language English. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Spirit Wandering wrote:Too bad about the writing style issues as it sounds like it had potential and I loved the title. Thanks for the review.
So true. It's one enlightening and inspiring book if not for those issues.

-- 09 Nov 2017, 01:07 --
kandscreeley wrote:It's confusing that this is a memoir since it's in the non-fiction genre. Too bad about the obvious non-English language English. Thanks for the review.
It's actually under 'Other Fiction' category.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I always feel so bad for authors who have a good book, but they are not native to the language they are writing in, and so it doesn't quite work. They all do bucket loads better than I could ever do in a language different to my native one, yet it is not enough. I am a fixer, and I want to help all the people :) Thanks for the review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kat Berg wrote:I always feel so bad for authors who have a good book, but they are not native to the language they are writing in, and so it doesn't quite work. They all do bucket loads better than I could ever do in a language different to my native one, yet it is not enough. I am a fixer, and I want to help all the people :) Thanks for the review!
So true. In the case of this particular book, a thorough editing will do the trick :)
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The topics this book deals with are interesting. Too bad the readers won't enjoy them because of the lack of professional editing. Thanks for your honest review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kalin Adi wrote:The topics this book deals with are interesting. Too bad the readers won't enjoy them because of the lack of professional editing. Thanks for your honest review!
Thank you. It's one great book if not for those editing issues.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! It's a shame about the awkward writing because the book sounds inspiring. Hopefully, the author will use a good editor in the future.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Despite the shortcomings, I must admit that the cover is really eye-catching. Thank you for an insightful review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! It's a shame about the awkward writing because the book sounds inspiring. Hopefully, the author will use a good editor in the future.
My sentiments, exactly :)

-- 12 Nov 2017, 23:09 --
Mercy Bolo wrote:Despite the shortcomings, I must admit that the cover is really eye-catching. Thank you for an insightful review.
Thank you. I enjoyed the book despite the editing issues :)
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I enjoy a well-written memoir. Too bad that this one had so many technical issues. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Ashley Simon wrote:I enjoy a well-written memoir. Too bad that this one had so many technical issues. Thanks for the review!
Thank you. This is one great book if not for those issues :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”